Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Vicodin and Pregnancy - HELP

Ok, my doctor put me on vicodin to pass a kidney stone, it took almost TWO WEEKS, I tried to only take it when I really needed it but I am sooo worried.  All my doctors have said I am fine and that it is not a problem.  But I dont understand that, how can it not be a problem, they say not to take anything stronger than a Tylenol...this is a lot stronger.  Has anyone been on vicodin when pregnant and did it hurt the baby?
How far along are you?
It haapened during my 10-11th weeks
I have been on many different meds while pregnant most related to a herniated disk in my back. I can tell you from experience that in moderation it is safe. Trust in your doctor as long as they are aware of the pregnancy, they will reference "Drugs in Pregnancy and Lactation" which gives the category for all meds and possible effect. You can also access that online : ) by the way, I have a very healthy, active and smart "super baby" who is now 18 months old : )

Andrea
I am a pharmacist and can tell you that Vicodin is safe in pregnancy, but moderation is the key!  Only take if absolutely necesary (and I know that kidney stones are painful).  I have known many pregnant women who have taken Vicodin with no adverse effects on the fetus.
Thank you so much for this info.  My doctor recently put me on vicodin for kidney stones and i was SOOOOO nervous because i am 29 wks pregnant and they say never to take aspirin during pregnancy.  Aspirin is the main ingredient in vicodin, so anyway...moderation is the key huh?  good thing cuz man i hate taking pills, even if they do help the pain.  Thank you again

jessica
I have been on vicodin for awhile due to a bad back and i just recently found out that I am 7 weeks pregnant.  I feel guilty taking it when I have pain.  Is there really no effect on the baby taking it while pregnant? I  have an appointment with my obgyn  but not for another 2 weeks.  I stopped taking it immediately.  I was taking 3 a day.  now Im taking 2 a week.  Is this ok?  are there any side effects?  Is it true that its only harmful if you are dependent? and the baby will go thru withdraw? I get scared and I dont know what to do!!  HELP
I have asked this question myself. I have become somewhat of a pregnant hypochondriac. I was so afraid of any little thing that I ate or or consumed and have practically blown up my doctors phone with questions. My sister was on bedrest for the last three months of her pregnancy, and was given about 2 darvocet every few hours. Her baby was carried full term and very healthy. I have back/neck issues, as well as a couple of possibly cracked ribs from the aggresive kicks of my super baby. I take about 1 vicodin a day (over the last couple of weeks-on my 38th week of pregnancy now) and have been told that is safe. Vicodin is TYLENOL based, which has been shown as safe to the fetus. Moderation is the key. Too much can, of course, have negative effects.However, so is a mother is painful physical distress. Take it as needed and stay in constant communication with your doctors. I am about to pop any day now and have found stretching and meditation to be a positive outlet as well. I wish you the best.
I am 31 weeks pregnant and have recently been put on Vicodin for migraines. I had them before pregnancy and have been lucky up until this point. I am very nervous that I am having to take a pretty high dosage to alleviate my pain or to get it manageable. Does anyone know how long it takes for your body or the babies to get addicted to a narcotic pain killer? That would just kill me if I did that to my first baby. I have always had a strong tolerance to pain medication and am hoping that I am not harming my daughter. I have only been on the medication for 5 days but I have to take 2 7.5/750’s every 4 hours sometimes to get rid of my migraines. Please someone put my mind at ease!  
wow that is a lot! i wonder why you cant be given imitrex? i suffer as well. vicodin doesnt even work as well as a migraine med.  ask the doc about it....you wont have to worry so much then
oh and by the way when i was pregnant, they gave me vicodin too. i had cracked ribs, they said that it was ok to take. i forgot to mention that and didnt want you to think that you are harming your baby. if the doc gave it to you and they know you are preg....then it should be ok. BUT.......i just thin that migraine meds work soooooo much better!!!! good luck sweetie!!
I am also 31 weeks pregnant and have suffered with migraines as well.  I only get them when I am pregnant (it happened with my first pregnancy too). I took vicodin and was so scared my first pregnancy. It took away the excitement because I was scared I was hurting my baby. My son was born with no ill effects. In regards to the imitrex comment my doctor said the drug is too new and he wouldn't give it to a pregnant woman. As long as you take no more vicodin than what is prescribed you should be fine. Good luck!
I feel so much better now that I have read your concerns and comments. I went to the hospital just tonight for and infected and impacted wisdom tooth. The pain is unbearable. The Doc perscribed me Penicilin and Vicodin and I was soooo nervous to take my meds. Now I feel more confident and mabey just mabey I'll be able to sleep tonight! Thank You!