A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

Vitamin A and Pregnancy

Hi Everyone,
I have a question regarding vitamin A supplements.  About a month before I got pregnant with my second child, I went to a naturepath who prescribed vitamin A supplements.  I started taking 10,000 IU a day up until I found out I was pregnant.  Actually, it was a week into my pregnancy that I stopped taking them.  They were the man-made kind...anyway, now I am really freaked out about having given my child a birth defect.  I didn't realize until I read a pregnancy book that vitamin A can be very harmful.  Does anyone have any insight on this topic?  I could never live with myself knowing that I may have caused harm to my baby.
5 Responses
Hi, all I know is that they give a vit A shot to a new born that is going to be breast fed to stop a life threatening illness. If the child is on formula they get it from there so don't need the shot. I am not sure about during pregnancy though . xxx
OMG sorry ignore the last post as I submitted it I realised its Vit K. So sorry for any confusion...must be the hormones! x
do a serch and see your doctor i dont want to alarm you but yes vitamin A especially in the dose you described is not good at all i am wishing you the best of luck.
159354 tn?1286371288
How far along are you....how long did you take them into the pregnancy?
I am 19 weeks along now and I took them only a week into pregnancy.  I have heard so many conflicting facts about this issue and I am scared.  The worst thing is that "they" say that it is not good to take vitamin A pre-conception as well because it deposits in your system and takes a while to leave your body.  In total, I took 10 000 IU for one month.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.