Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Vitamin A and Pregnancy

Hi Everyone,
I have a question regarding vitamin A supplements.  About a month before I got pregnant with my second child, I went to a naturepath who prescribed vitamin A supplements.  I started taking 10,000 IU a day up until I found out I was pregnant.  Actually, it was a week into my pregnancy that I stopped taking them.  They were the man-made kind...anyway, now I am really freaked out about having given my child a birth defect.  I didn't realize until I read a pregnancy book that vitamin A can be very harmful.  Does anyone have any insight on this topic?  I could never live with myself knowing that I may have caused harm to my baby.
Hi, all I know is that they give a vit A shot to a new born that is going to be breast fed to stop a life threatening illness. If the child is on formula they get it from there so don't need the shot. I am not sure about during pregnancy though . xxx
OMG sorry ignore the last post as I submitted it I realised its Vit K. So sorry for any confusion...must be the hormones! x
do a serch and see your doctor i dont want to alarm you but yes vitamin A especially in the dose you described is not good at all i am wishing you the best of luck.
How far along are you....how long did you take them into the pregnancy?
I am 19 weeks along now and I took them only a week into pregnancy.  I have heard so many conflicting facts about this issue and I am scared.  The worst thing is that "they" say that it is not good to take vitamin A pre-conception as well because it deposits in your system and takes a while to leave your body.  In total, I took 10 000 IU for one month.