Women's Health: Postpartum Community

WEIGHT GAIN DURING PREGNANCY?

HI,
I HAVE A QUESTION TODAY. I HAD A ROUTING OB APPOINT. YESTERDAY ANE LEARNED THAT I HAVE ONLY GAINED 4 POUNDS...I AM 23 WEEKS.
SO MY QUESTION IS WHAT CAN I DO TO GAING A FEW MORE POUNDS? I KNOW NOBODY USUALLY ASKS HOW TO GAIN WEIGHT BUT MY DOCTOR IS UPSTET WITH ME AND SO IS MY DH, THEY THINK I AM TRYING TO REFRAIN FROM GAINING WEIGHT WHICH IS VERY UNTRUE. I EAT ALL THE TIME. I HAD 2 MISCARRIAGES PREV. TO THIS PREGNANCY AND DIDN'T LOSE THAT WEIGHT. SO ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE TTC'S OUT THERE.
TIFFANY
I HAVE ONLY GAINED A TOTAL OF 4 POUNDS THIS WHOLE PREGNANCY....JUST TO CLARIFY
TIFFANY
My goodness, I wish I had your problem!  Only 7.5 weeks and already gained 2 pounds!  Well, all I can advise is to maybe eat fattier things, good fats not bad fats.  Like maybe cottage cheese, or any cheese for that matter as a suggestion.  What kind of food are you eating now, fruits, veggies, lean meat stuff?  You could try more bread products to pack on a few needed pounds.  Also, if you're eating small meals, you might try upping your portions.  Sorry, this is all I have, but I'm looking forward to reading other people's opinions.  Good luck!!!

Anna
i am going to have to assume you are not over weight at all to begin with and that you are not sick.

if that is the case, avoid fat free foods....for one thing most fat free foods contain a lot of sugar (which is empty calories) and if it isn't made with more sugar then it is made with things that aren't very good for baby anyway.

i don't think i would go out and try to gain a bunch of weight just to satisfy your doc., but itis usually recomended that you take in 500 extra calories a day during pregnancy and nursing.
i hope that helped.
~nanci
try supplement shakes, or protein shakes. Smoothies are also good and can get way up there in calories. I would use these on top of any meals your eating. I also agree to add fatty 'smart' foods, like cheeses, avocado,protein bars,etc.
I am overweight and I am 32weeks and at my apointment this week I the total I have LOST is 17 pounds and the baby is measuring Big already!! My doc is not worried though because he did do test, blood tests and glucose, and the baby is growing good. Don't woory about it too much unless you start losing a lot of weight each month, but if you are eating "correctly" and better then you normally have then yoou will maintain your weight or you will lose. Good luck.
I wouldn't worry about it. I am 21 weeks and only gained 4 lbs so far too. This is my 5th baby and I am not overweight. All of my babies have been over 9 lbs. Sometimes I gain more weight in the beginning of preg and sometimes I gain it at the end but I always gain plenty eventually. My doctor has never been concerned.

If you are overweight, then for sure don't worry about it. I hear of people losing weight while preg if overweight and having healthy babies.