Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Was My Csection Necessary?

I gave birth by csection to my first baby boy last week. I want to know if I really needed a csection or were the doctors just too lazy to wait for a natural birth. Here's the story, it was on a Saturday I was having some contractions every 4-5 mins they weren't that bad. I came in the hospital and was told I was 2 centimeters displayed and they sent me back and told me I'd probably have the baby in a few days. I came back in a few hours and I was 7-8 centimeters dilated. Then a nurse came in 10 mins later and broke my water. The doctor came In and opened my legs. He stuck his finger inside me and told me to push like I needed to poop.  While I pushed his fingers were far up my vagina I'm not sure what he was doing. So we tried again he says "push push push" while his fingers are still in me. Then he says "if you can't push this baby we will have to perform a csection on you" i told him to give me another chance to push. I pushed with all my might and again with his fingers inside me. He was saying the baby's head was going back up when I pushed. I wanted to push but without his fingers in my vagina I don't even know why he had his fingers in me the whole time I was trying to push. I felt like he was pushing the baby's head back every time I pushed so he can perform a csection on me. I remember after that they told me to turn on my side they didn't tell me why but after a few minutes the nurse came with papers and told me that I needed a csection. I panicked and signed everything and i was rushed to the surgery room and they performed an emergency c section on me. They kicked my husband out the operating room and yelled at him after they said for him to come which I found disrespectful because I was scared and needed him to be next to me. A couple of days later when I got discharged I read the report and it said patient developed NRFHT and a tight nuchal cord was noted at delivery. The doctors didn't tell me about the heart dropping or about the nuchal chord actually my husband told me they showed him the monitor of the baby's heart dropping. We didn't see the cord around the baby's neck. Or do they ever show you? Was the csection necessary? because I wanted a natural birth and that doctor said he'd perform csection after trying to push 3 times. His fingers were in the way and I couldn't see how I'd ever push with his fingers being inside me the whole time. Why did the doctor have his hands pushing far up in my vagina every time I pushed? I felt like he was hurting me and I never got to push without his hands being inside me. Is that normal for a doctor to have his fingers inserted in the vagina pushing his fingers far up while a woman is trying to push her baby out?
No his fingers shouldn't of been up there
That's what me and my husband was thinking. Why tell me to push when you have your fingers in me pushing up, it really made no sense. I felt like he wanted me to have a C-section because he blamed it on me when I tried to push and he says "if you can't push this baby we will have to perform C-section" I felt that it was unfair that I didn't get to push without his fingers being in me and because he immediately mentioned Csection like it was my fault the baby's head would come down yet he had his fingers up there the whole time. He only made me do 3 pushes and that was it. Then I had to sign papers to consent to get a csection. I'm very dressed because I really wanted a natural birth and I felt like this doctor didn't want me to. Whenever I tell people this story they say why is his fingers up there when you're trying to push a baby out.
Sounds like he was trying to loosen the cord so your baby didn't get brain damage.
It still doesn't make sense hkjen, he said the baby kept going back up every time I pushed but we felt like he was pushing the baby back up. I never heard a doctor sticking his fingers in a woman to loosen up the card. His hands shouldn't be in there during pushing period.
The doctor also made a comment about how if I couldn't push it out he would have to perform Csection. He made it seem like it was my fault. I would never be able to push it out with his fingers in me. It's like taking a poop and someone fingers are in there. You won't be able to push the poop out if your fingers are up there lol
If the cord is tightly round the neck (which is what your report says)  it is very common, and extremely important, for a doctor or midwife to try to loosen it.  It only takes a few minutes of oxygen deprivation to leave a baby permanently brain damaged.  
It wasn't 'your fault' but I certainly understand why he was in a rush to open you up and get the cord away from his neck.
You can't loosen the cord by sticking your fingers in a women's vagina.
Are you a doctor? I'm not trying to be rude or anything
Yes, you can, assuming the baby is coming out head first you reach in and try to pull the cord away from the neck - at least a little bit to ensure the blood can flow.  It would be very uncomfortable for the mum but definitely necessary.  I'm not a doctor but my friend lost her baby in childbirth because the cord was round her neck for too long.  So I do know something about this.
They told my husband the heart was dropping after they operated then they told him the cord was around the neck after opening me up.. During labor all they were telling us was that the baby's head kept going back up.
If the babes head kept bouncing back up when you pushed then it sounds like the baby wasn't engaging either. So that combined with a possible cord around the neck sounds pretty dangerous.
Your doctor made the right call. Obviously if the cord was around the neck and the heart rate was dropping, your doctor didn't want to wait any longer and made the decision to operate. If he would've waited, your baby could've potentially died. So yes, I agree with the decision your doctor made.
My first baby was born with a cord around her neck. Her heart rate was dropping but I still managed to push her out just in time. She was super white and didn't cry right away.. pretty scary. I think the doctor should have informed you why he was sending you off for a c section. But from what it sounds like, it needed to be done. Congrats on your little bundle of joy btw :)
I was asking if the user above me was a doctor because I needed answers from doctors if my Csection was necessary because the doctors didn't explain anything to me as everything was done quickly. I also felt like him not letting me push without his fingers in me was very odd.
Thank you
In the event of an emergency, sometimes there isn't always time to explain everything right away. Doctors have to do what they feel is best for the baby at that time, and your doctor decided a c section was best. So although you may not feel it was necessary, you need to think "was it necessary for the baby?", and by the sounds of it, yes it was. Sometimes it's not always about what you want.
I'm not a doctor,  but I've taught childbirth classes and attended about 50 births.

Here's what it sounds to me what happened:

Your baby's heartrate was not coming back up after contractions.  The doctor checked to see if the baby's head was near delivery,  so that with a few pushes the baby would be born.  He wouldn't know that unless his fingers were in there checking the baby's head position.  When the baby would go back up after you stopped pushing,  you were losing all the ground you gained on that push,  and it could be a very long time before the baby would be delivered,  and there isn't time if the baby's heart rate is unsteady.

So they delivered you by c-section.

Then,  in delivery,  they found what they suspected - the cord was wrapped tight,  probably the reason the baby's heartrate wasn't good after a contraction.

It does sound like there was a personality conflict between you and the doctor,  but I think you're on the wrong track imagining the doctor was pushing your baby back up because he wanted to perform a c-section.

Sounds very much like the c-section was performed to give you a healthy baby,  and pushing for a long time wouldn't  have accomplished that.

BTW,  doctors often have their fingers in women's birth canals when the baby is born - to move the last bit of the cervix aside.  A doctor's finger won't keep a baby whose about to be born from coming.
I want some opinions from doctors, any doctors on here?
Before he mentioned the baby heart dropping he told me if I couldn't push he would perform a C-section and I was confused so from there I felt like he was maybe too lazy to wait for me to give birth naturally. Keep in mind I only had pushed twice with his fingers in me when he made that comment. When the nurse came with the papers to sign for the csection she noticed I was worried and she said "sign it only if you want to" I felt like if my baby was really in trouble they would make such comments what does she mean if I want to? They didn't give me other options so I had no choice but to sign the papers. They didn't treat this pregnancy like it was an emergency. I still felt like this emergency csection was unnecessary and they were just lazy.
creative,  you didn't have an "emergency" c-section,  you had an "unplanned" c-section.  Emergency c-sections don't involve the mother deciding whether to sign papers.  

There aren't doctors on this forum.  
The minute the doctor entered the room I could tell he wasn't patient. He just came in didn't even introduce himself and just stick his hand in side me and was telling me to push like a bowel movement. After 3 pushes he says they will have to perform csection if I can't push. So way before the consent papers they mentioned csection. I imagine if I didn't sign those csection papers they would be really angry with me and tell me things like if I want my baby to die and etc.... There were two doctors who were in the room who were rude. i really didn't like how she was talking to me. She was getting upset the way I positioned my legs she says "would you stop putting your legs like a frog you have to keep them open" I felt like they would've told me that I needed a csection anyway if I didn't sign those consent papers. I should've read the reviews before entering this hospital because one user wrote that the hospital loves performing csection even when not needed. My husband told me that one doctor told him it was a life threatening situation when he wanted to enter the surgery room that's what made me think this was an emergency csection. I also remember hearing the nurse say if I want I can sign it but I thought well if j don't sign it what are other options? I felt like she was testing me when she said if I want to sign it because the doctor had already mentioned he would HAVE TO perform csection before the consent papers.
creative,  you probably need to get your medical records to have your questions answered.  There are two completely separate issues here,  and I think you're lumping them together - but that only confuses the issues.  

1.  The doctors weren't pleasant and friendly,  and didn't have good bedside manner and

2.  There were issues with your delivery including low heart rate of your baby and apparently ineffective pushing.  

It would be helpful to know how low the baby's heart rate was getting before anyone can advise you about whether your c-section was necessary.  If the heartrate was dipping below 100 for a couple contractions in a row,  and the doctor could feel the baby was still high in the pelvis and not descending with pushing (and it will descend,  even with the doctor's fingers in there checking if it's going to) that would necessitate a c-section.  Not an emergency one,  but an unplanned one that was carried out fairly quickly.

Was your husband watching the heartrate monitor?  Does he remember how low the heartrate was getting?
My husband told me the nurse showed him the baby's heart rate on the monitor and it was going down. I also didn't feel the urge to push like I've read some women have during labor. It felt like I was forced to push when I wasn't suppose to.
But your husband doesn't remember the numbers?  I think those would be noted in the medical file.

If you didn't feel the urge to push,  you weren't in that stage of labor yet.  

I'm feeling more and more like this was all the doctors could do.  You weren't in the pushing phase of labor yet,  and your baby's heart rate was plummeting.  

You can't be "patient" in that situation,  creative.  You can't.  The doctors have to act QUICKLY to keep your baby from being born with Cerebral palsy from lack of oxygen,  or even worse.  

There's no time to be patient and wait hours for the baby to be born when the heart rate is too low.  
My husband just saw the numbers going down he says. I will ask doctor for my medical records.