Women's Health: Postpartum Community

Weight loss and Pregnancy...

Hi everyone!  I was wondering if maybe you would have some input of this.  My husband and mother are trying this all natural way to lose some weight.  It's honey and Cinnamon mixed in hot water like a tea taken twice daily.  I am a bit overweight.  I was wondering if it would be harmful to my baby to try it.  I wouldn't lose too terribly much.  I wouldn't want to lose it too fast either.  I just don' t see how the mixture could harm me.  it's is only honey and cinnamon.  I have a extra 40-50 lbs that i'm carrying around with me and wondered if losing about 15-20 would be good or bad for the baby.  I just thought it might be better for the baby if i were a little healthier. But i wouldn't want to do anything that could potentially harm him/her either. Well, thanks for any input. It is greatly appreciated.
I've always read that it's not good to lose weight while your pg even if you do have some extra.  Best is to wait until after the baby is born.  If you were just trying to conceive it would be ok, but once your pg, I don't think it's a good thing to do.
mum said it very well!!
I've not gain much weight 5 lbs I'm 17 weeks  and during the first tri I had to eat often not much but about every 2 hours it helped keep the nausea down!! I have heard of women going totally healthy and exercising and gain almost nothing and even losing a few pounds that started over weight. SO go healthy and exercise in moderation which is the key to long term weight loss anyway--thats been my thinking and now that the nausea has subsided I eat 4 sm/med meals a day ie half a sandwich, pickle, pb crackers and 1 or 2 snacks ie a slice of watermelon or a handfull of nuts or prunes. I don't think I'll weigh less but my goal is to try not to gain over 25pds since I started over weight. If you lose weight in the very beginning I been told thats ok and normal due to the nausea. I lost 5 pounds in the first 3 weeks but I've put it back on and they said as long as it didn't continue it would be ok. AS of last week OB said everything was going perfect!! so I'm going with that!!
my ex sil had gestational diabetes with her pg. she was quite overweight prior to pg. it is a great diet to follow because its so healthy and she didnt gain more than the baby/placenta ect weight. losing weight during pg isnt healthy for you. your baby will take all your nutrients and you dont want to become sick. the pg will be over soon and you can diet then (unless your breastfeeding then you still need some extra calories but you should lose with that too)oh i meant the diabtes diet.
I agree with hawki, everything I have ever read has said NOT to diet AT ALL while pregnant.
Oh!  I don't plan on dieting.  I wold never deprive my baby of nutrients.  I was going to continue to eat normally.  I've been eating a normal and balanced diet through this pregnancy.  I haven't put on any weight yet.  I'm 15w3d.  I was just wondering the harm in trying the mixture.  It's not a store bought or ordered thing.  It's a make it at home, tblspoon honey and cinnamon in a cup of hot water.  I don't thin it's meant to drastically reduce weight.  I think it's meant more of a way to maintain.  I probably won't do it.  I was going to talk to the Dr. about it.  I should have clarified that i wasn't planning on dieting..just adding the honey to my diet.  It was a flash in my head for a brief moment.  I'm not sure if i would do it or not...it was a thought for fear of my weight affecting my pregnancy.  I'll let everyone know how it turned out for my husband and mother, though.  It may be an idea for after the baby's born for me to lose the baby weight.  Thanks for the input, though.  I do take everything that you ladies say to heart.  I've gotten some of the best advice from this forum!
Yes.  I'm very interested.  My husband wants to try this one specifically because we have read in several different sources about the effects of honey on cholesterol and blood pressure.  He has high numbers for both and takes several meds for it.  We're hoping to find something holistic to alleviate the problem to possibly cut down the amount of meds he takes.  Too many meds is bad for the liver and that's the last thing we need.  He's onlt 30 y/o we've got the problems under control with medication, but hope to find other ways to do it.
A girl at work was telling me that you're not supposed to eat honey whey you're pregnant, but I just looked it up and everything looks fine. I found the article at http://www.webmd.com/content/article/43/3606_275 if anyone wants to check it out. Bottom line is that you shouldn't feed it to infants under one year old, but pregnant or nursing mom's filter out the chance of botulism spores, so it's ok for us. Hope this helps!
Wow...that was very informative.  Thanks!  I never even thought about that!
why would cinnimon and honey make you lose weight sounds like another scam to me.
It's not a fad or anything like that.  It's from a holistic medicine book.  I says it has something to do with fat absorbtion.  My mother read it to me.  But i've read in several different sources about the medicinal benefits of honey for everything from heartburn to acne.  I'm not going to do it while i'm preggers.  I've decided against it.  Not sure if it works..but i guess i an learn from their experience.