Women's Health: Postpartum Community

What should I do if I had an Ultrasound with no fetal heartbeat at 8 weeks?

It has been a very trying week. This is my first pregnancy and I am an overweight woman, 27 years old. On Tuesday, March 8th, I went for my first ultrasound. The fetus measured 8 weeks, there was no heartbeat and no movement. I cried harder than I have in years. According to my last Menstruation, i was 10 weeks. However, the date of conception was 2 weeks later. which made the baby on track. The u/s tech said that the baby had just died. I went to the ER, expecting another u/s that was never performed, they only check my hcg level, which was 17808. Three days later, March 11th, I went back to the ER for a retest of the hcg level. it had dropped to 12006. The ER doctor told me to keep my next scheduled appointment which is not until April 7th. He told me to continue taking my prenatal vitamins and not to sway from the pregnancy restrictions. Because "weirder things have happened". I am trying to be positive about all of this but shouldn't I have miscarried by now?