A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

When do Mirena periods get regular?

Hello all,
I got my Mirena inserted this past November, and for about 6 months, everything was perfect! No periods, spotting, or cramps. In May, I got a period again out of the blue, then again a week later, and again the week after that. This most recent time, I only had a day or two between bleeding. Each time, I get full cramps, PMS, the whole deal.
I checked with my doctor, got an ultrasound, and everything looks fine; she said this just may be how my body reacts. Anyone else had this happen? If so, did your periods ever stop/ return to normal? I don't want to have to get it removed, but this is a huge pain! Any advice would be welcome!
1 Responses
973741 tn?1342342773
Well, that would be annoying for sure!  I do think it is quite common to be irregular with mirena and even more so when you have it removed.  It's well known for this.  Every woman is different and agree with your doctor that this may just ve how your body reacts.  I'm not sure I'd want to have that as my form of birth control with that situation though.  Are there any other forms of birth control you'd consider?
1 Comments
For sure. I took the pill for a decade before getting my Mirena this year, and I've already started it again so I don't have a break in my contraception when/ if I get my IUD removed. I was just hoping it wouldn't come to that!
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.