When to take your baby out???

My twins just turned 1 month and I want to know when is it a good time to take them out? For example to the mall and other places.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i took my daughter out the second week. your babies are a month already. if the weather isnt too bad, you can take them out now. but i think it also depends on them. were they born early? were they kept in the nicu?  after the first time out at two weeks, i kept my daughter in until she turned fourty days old. then i was without worry like yours. good luck. dont worry, keep them warm and comfy.
Helpful - 0
I've seen some folks, by necessity, take their newborns out.  But, if you can wait, I think you've waited sufficiently.  We waited almost 6 weeks with our first, but only 4 weeks (well, 5 since she was in the hospital the first week) with our second.

As soon as you are comfortable with taking them out, go ahead.  During cold and flu season, though, I would ask people nicely not to get too close or touch the babies so as not to transfer any germs unnecesarily.  Germs are everywhere, but no sense in adding to them.  Most folks will be kind enough to listen and not touch.

Getting them out for a walk in the mall will do you a host of good.  So go for it, you deserve to show them off a bit and get a little exercise and different scenery.

Congrats on the babies!
Helpful - 0
my baby was born in the summer, so there was no cold or flu season at the time. still, my doctor insisted no crowded places like restaurants or malls til at least 4 weeks. my girlfriend's ped said no crowded places til 8 weeks. quick trips to the grocery store are ok. since it is winter, i would personally wait a bit more. there are some awful bugs out there, many of which would land a newborn in the hospital. especially rsv and the flu. of course you can't live life paranoid, but when it comes to the health of a newborn, i would err on the side of caution.

i would ask your pediatrician, since he or she has a better understanding of your situation than any of us, including what's going around your area. i'm actually surprised it wasn't discussed in any of your visits.
Helpful - 0
We waited until Evan was 6 weeks to take him out.
Helpful - 0
I want to thank you ladies for your comments
Helpful - 0
Depends.  My triplets were preemies and we were told to keep them in ALL winter until RSV season is over.  It' sbeen hard, but so totally worth it.  
Helpful - 0
I had to take my son out at only 2 wks (grocery store), but I waited until I knew he'd be sleeping and then covered his carrier on the cart with a receiving blanket so that nobody would breathe on him or touch him.  People asked, but I said he was sleeping and I'd rather not disturb him.
Just be sure to then thoroughly wash your hands with antibacterial soap after being out in public and opening doors/touching cash/pushing a shopping cart.  
Helpful - 0
IT SHOULD BE OK TO TAKE THEM OUT BUT BE CAREFUL AS IT IS FLU SEASON
Helpful - 0
I've been wondering the same thing.  I'm amazed at how long people kept them in.  It has only been two weeks for me and I am going stir crazy.  I will keep him due to the cold and flu season.. it is terrible in my area.. besides it is still pretty cold outside.

I have a dr appt tomorrow.  I'm gong to ask him this question.  
Helpful - 0
I see that you live in Miami, therefore winter weather is not an issue. I live in FL as well and had my son 19 months ago. We lived in Port St. Lucie and my husband had 8 weeks of training in Tampa for work (only had two weeks left when I had my son)...missing it was not an option. I brought my son home from the hospital on a Monday, and on Thursday we went to Tampa to live with my husband in a hotel room. We stayed there for the remaining two weeks and were forced to take him out in public. I can remember being at Chilis and telling some guy that my son was 8 days old. There was nothing that I could do! We had to eat...

He was fine. He never got sick. I would put his carseat in the stroller and cover it up with the sunshade so no one could touch him. I never let anyone lay a hand on him.

I think you're fine taking them out to the mall, Publix, etc. Wow :) I get to say Publix and you know what I'm talking about! My doctor warned me not to overdress him and keep him covered with a million blankets. So go to Aventura and have a great time :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.