Where does your little one nap?

DD is 10 1/2 months. We've gotten to the point where she's going down in her crib awake at night. But i never established a nap routine since when she was younger, she slept so much. We're down to 2 pretty consistant naps a day- late AM and late afternoon. It's hot up in her room during the day, so we have her in a rocker/bouncer in the livingroom and rock her to sleep. works great, but i am wondering if i should be putting her into a crib or pack n play to nap. where does everyone's baby/toddler sleep during the day?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It has been a while ago but I was told that it helps infants and toddlers to distinguish between day and night, so for the naps I let my son sleep on the floor in a cozy area, on a thin mat or sometimes in a dog basket (unused). That way he never felt that he was being put down for a whole night`s sleep and was quite happy.
Helpful - 0
interesting thoughts and makes sense. if i tried putting her in her crib during the day i'm sure she'd never settle and just pace back and forth.
Helpful - 0
When my two were babies I had them sleep in the family room in their playpen. (I think nowadays they are referred to as pack n' plays)  

After feedings I would put them in the playpen with their toys and they would eventually fall asleep with no problem. They slept through the running of the vacuum cleaner, dishwasher, etc. It was easy on me to peek in on them while I was cleaning house and cooking. I wasn't having to run up stairs to check on them constantly.
Helpful - 0
Brody still doesn't sleep the whole night in his crib. We put him in there after he nurses and then he gets up sometime around 2 or 3 and stays with us the rest of the night. For naps, he usually falls asleep being bounced on our lap or pacing around with him on our shoulder and then set in his crib. He doesn't take very long naps though. An hour at the most, twice a day. Late am and late afternoon.
Helpful - 0
We still use a swing...although Chubby McGee probably wont fit much long, so I also lay him in our bed for naps.  He will not nap in his crib.  So I just keep an ear out when he naps in our bed, then go in there immediately once he wakes up...even though we have a huge bed I am always afraid he will roll off.
Helpful - 0
all- ok. for some reason i might be starting bad habits by having her nap downstairs. i'm glad so many others do it as well. especially with the summer coming- i get to be home all day with her!!!

babyscience- please be careful. i left dd on the bed for less than a minute. she was out cold. i thought for sure nothing would wake her so i ran downstairs to grab my computer. as i was coming back into the room i watched in horror as she rolled off the bed, smacked her head on the nightstand, and hit the ground. i had left her in the middle of the bed. i still see that image so clearly in my head and it still upsets me so much.

as for nighttime, i guess i'm lucky with dd. she was starting to get into the habit of falling asleep while taking her last feed. after reading other people's posts about worrying about their babies going to sleep when they have to take the bottle away, i decided not to let her get too dependent on the bottle. i'm feeding her last bottle in a slightly more stimulating environment to make sure she's awake but drowsy. then i put her in her crib. she protests for about a minute, whining and yelling but not a full-blown cry. if she is standing up, i go to the otherside of the room, lay down on the bed, and occasionally simply say "night-night." she usually gives a final yell after a minute or so, and dramatically throws herself down on the mattress. i then sit near her for a few minutes. poor thing inherited her father and grandmother's insomnia, and she lays there, opening and closing her eyes, rolling around trying to get comfy for up to an hour. i just leave after a few minutes and watch on the monitor. never had to "cry it out" thank goodness- i don't know if i could.
\
Helpful - 0
Your description of putting her down in the crib is too funny/cute.  I can totally picture it.  

Jacobs day naps are usually on me, in the swing or in the bouncy seat. I've tried to put him in the crib during the day but he always seems to wake up sooner.  
Helpful - 0
dd 11 months takes her naps in her crib. She has since about 7 months. I nurse her then sing her a song and lay her in her bed. She is like your dd, she fusses for maybe 30 sec and then rolls around with her blanket then lays in some seeminly awkard position and sleeps usually for an hour about 9am and 1pm and then bedtime at 630pm. If I am at someone elses house I just do the same thing but in her pack and play. And she has a sound machine set to waterfall and I play it for naps and bedtime.
Helpful - 0
Yeah that is what I am freaked out about, him rolling off.  He doesnt like to sleep on the couch either, although today I was feeding him with the boppy under him and he fell alseep on the couch so I just sat by him until he woke up...which was only a 30 min nap.  So he has been Mr Cranky today, the whole teething thing doesnt help either.  Maybe I will try his pack and play..we use that when we shower...however he uses it for play and not to sleep.  I wish his crib was more comfortable, I think that is why he doesnt like it.  Or again, it is the whole association with nighttime.
Helpful - 0
wow! I thought I was the ONLY ONE!! Noah will only take naps on my shoulder, bouncy seat and (rarely) on a pallet on the floor! lol  He sleeps in his crib at nights...
My two girls took their naps at their cribs, but not this kiddo...lol I dont mind though.....I cannot believe he'll be 4 months already......
Tanker, Jacob has gotten so big! I only get to come on here every now and again......
Helpful - 0
my babys 17 months now.and when she naps during the day she just asks for her baby and dodo then goes sleep on the floor.dont know why she just seems to like sleeping on floor.but i always kept her in front room when she was tiny to take her naps.the reason being i wanted her to realise that when she went in her cot she knew she was there for the night.and it seemed to work!!!!!
Helpful - 0
My twins were about 10 months before i got them to nap in their cribs.  I used the infant seats before that.  It was a hard habit to break, but they were outgrowing the seats, so we had to make the change.  It was awful the first few days, but then they got used to it.

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
When I am at work dh has her sleep in her crib but it is never for very long.  (never very long in the pack'nplay either)
Her best naps (but also a bad habit to get into) occur if I am tired when I get home from work and I nurse her lying on the bed and we both nap.  If I am right next to her she could sleep all day!  She loves the bed but then I am stuck there until she wakes up since it is hard to move her to the crib.
She does sleep all night in the crib so I guess that is the place we should work on for naps but I just feel bad having her in the same location for so many hours each day!  It is good if they love their cribs and rooms though.  Save you from problems later on...good luck!!!
Helpful - 0
My 1st one slept in her crib for napping and for the night from the day she came home from the hospital. My 2nd, loved to nurse while we were lying in my bed and she would doze off for a couple of hours and that's how she napped and I always napped with her. However, as soon as she became mobile I wanted her in her crib for safety reasons and so she's been there ever since. It was rough at first because she wanted to be snuggled up to mommy but after about a week of crying, she learned to nap in her crib beatifully.
Helpful - 0
My dd is 13 months old and she takes naps in her crib since she was about 2 months old.
Helpful - 0
mlb addison is the same way! she could nap for hours if its with me.  she usually goes down by laying in my bed with me nursing.  i dont know if its a bad habit but it works for her and i love that moment.  she naps in her pack n play she is still small enough for the top bassinet part (hers takes up the entire size of the pnp.)  she sleeps in it too at night till about 3am when she suddenly has decided to start waking up to eat again and then stays in my bed till i cant get comfortable and put her back down.  

cutiemama i could never let addison cry for a week!!!  i cant let her cry for 5min!  poor babies want their mama's...
Helpful - 0
My son will nap in his crib only once in a blue.  It's like he knows he's going in there and once his body hits that mattress, his eyes pop open and that's it for the napping.  So for now, until he grows out of it, he naps in his swing or next to me in my bed (only on weekends).  He sleeps through the night in his crib though.  
Helpful - 0
Both my kids go to their beds for naps.  They won't sleep anywhere else.  They know it's nap time and we talk about it, then they go to bed awake and fall asleep there.  I have small fans running for white noise and keep the house relatively quiet during that time.  I think most kids must be pretty heavy sleepers to be able to fall asleep anywhere.  I'm not that lucky.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.