Women's Health: Postpartum Community

acid reflux

I have a 10 year old son. In last 2 months he has had acid reflux twice. He had pain in his chest, back,head & upper abdomen in the middle just below the ribs.The pain was too much & he could not eat. his diet is not too much  not too less.He is physically week too. how can I help him
Hi!
The symptoms could be exacerbation of the GERD or gastric reflux.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Drink cold milk. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
If these tips do not help, then liver function test, pancreatic enzymes, and HIDA scan for gall bladder should be done. Food intolerance and inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS, Crohn’s, celiac etc should be considered. Log in what your son eats and see if there is a correlation between a certain food type and the symptoms.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this. Take care!
Thank you for the detailed explanation.I will certainly take the necessary precautions. For breakfast he takes a glass of milk & an egg or a slice of bread, then for lunch at school he takes one paratha with some vegetables.When he is back home he has 3 chap pities, Dal vegetable & salad. In the evening he has milk with some snakes. For dinner ha has 3 chap pities & vegetable.Does he food cause him trouble