belly down?

What do you think about letting a babu sleep belly down? It's the only way my son will sleep :(
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Some babies have their own mind on how they handle. The recommendation is on a baby's back, but if that's impossible- it's impossible. I would recommend getting a Snuza monitor. It attaches to the front of a diaper and will monitor your baby's breathing and movement so that if they stop doing either for a certain amount of time, an alarm will go off so that you can get to baby and help them. My daughter has severe GERD with laryngospasms, central and obstructive apnea, and she aspirates when she drinks liquid. If it wasn't for the Snuza especially now where she is 14 months and wants nothing more than to sleep on her tummy- I would not be here.
Helpful - 0
Honey I am not a doctor but I did have a baby 10 years ago. And I put my baby to sleep on her back at first like everyone said. Well she was next to me in bassist just a few days old and spit up while I was sleeping. Woke me up and scared the life out of me. Put her on belly after that and it never happened again and I couldn't believe now much better she slept.  You are the mom you do what you think is better for your baby!!! :)
Helpful - 0
I have tried everything else nothing soothes him till I put him on his tummy then he is happy
Helpful - 0
He screams and cries if I put him on his back and will not sleep but if I put him on his tummy he falls right to sleep and is alot less cranky.
Helpful - 0
Pay close attention if you can get a motion baby monitor it lets you hear baby and alerts you if baby stops breathing. Things keep changing before doctors didn't want baby laying on the back because of possible choking.  Years later they don't want baby on tummy to reduce SIDS. No one knows what causes SIDS its sudden.   My nephew died while sleeping on his back from SIDS. He was a healthy baby. I purchased the motion monitor because I was so scared. I learned to let my babies sleep I just listened and watched.
Helpful - 0
That's a no no
not until the baby is old enough to start rolling over by itself...
If he or she is crying for no reason, after you have tried everything, place him or her on your chest so the baby can hear your heart beat. Also, a car ride can help sooth the baby, or even a baby swing.
Also you can ask the pediatrician about it, and if they say it's okay, then I guess it's okay.
It can be dangerous for babies to sleep on their tummy... and maybe you can prop the baby up a little bit and have him or her sleep on its side instead of the tummy.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.