Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

birth control/period

i am on birth control and have been for several months.  the first few months, bleeding was normal at mentruation, though each time slightly lighter.  this month, at the time of my period being due now, it has only been spotting.  i haven't had sex since last month during my period, so is this spotting pregnancy or has the period flow really slowed down that much it's blocked up?
1 Responses
1527510 tn?1392304944
The pill means that you don't actually get a proper period. It's called a withdrawal bleed so because it's not a true period it can be expected that the flow is different to what a normal period would be like. Spotting and light bleeding can be completely normal, especially when taking the pill. Having sex during your last 'period' is highly unlikely to result in pregnancy. And especially if you're taking your pill as directed. Not taking your pill as directed can result in strange bleeding, and pregnancy. I don't think you're pregnant since you've not had sex since last months 'period', the spotting is most likely due to the pill.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.