Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

bleeding during pregnancy

i had a d and c in april and i am now 13 wks pregnant. i have been bleeding slightly everyday from the start of my pregnancy everything was fine on my 12 week scan and swabs that had been taken diagnosed a vaginal infection and i was given 2 lots of antibiotics. on the second day of taking these the bleeding got heavier and on the sixth day i started losing clots big and small. the hospital said it looked like i was having a miscarriage the morning after they sent me for a scan which showed baby was fine everything normal. The doctor was as confused as i was and sent me home saying that everything was ok and it was normal. losing clots that half filled a cardboard sick bowl  does not seem normal to me.I was wondering if anything could have been left behind after the d and c causing the infection and the antibiotics have helped dislodge what ever was left there. i am still bleeding and its really worrying me
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!
Apart from the scan, get blood HCG done at 48 hours interval to see if the levels are rising. Doubling levels are indicative of higher chances of pregnancy carrying forward.
It is common for some women to bleed on and off during the first 3 months. However, any spotting or bleeding in first trimester should never be ignored. It can be due to simple causes such as infection as in your case which could be persisting, cervicitis (infection/inflammation of cervix), vaginitis (infection/inflammation of vagina), or it can also be due to a part of uterine lining sloughing (due to incomplete D and C) or due to threatened abortion. Sometimes it happens without a cause. It can also be due to hormonal imbalance. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined for all these causes. Take care!
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.