A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

blood types

if child was born with O- blood and mother is A+ would father have to be type A
7 Responses
what types from both parent be to produce O- baby?
13167 tn?1327194124
According to this calculator, the father could be A,  B, or O.

The website also strongly states that this shouldn't be used to make assumptions about family trees - that this is theoretical only.

Go to the link where it says "Blood Type and RH factor" on the left hand side.

http://www.biology.arizona.edu/Human_Bio/problem_sets/blood_types/inherited.html
134578 tn?1578157483
If there is a question about paternity, a DNA test is more reliable.
If the baby's blood type is O, then the mother or the father would have to have O blood, that is the way it was explained to me.

With my daughter I had O+, Ava has A+...we do not know what her Daddy's blood type is, but the hospital explained that her Daddy could only have A, or AB in order for Ava to receive the A type.

I did not question paternity but I wanted to have Ava's blood type in her records at home.  I assumed she would have my O type, I was a little bummed when they said A+.  

I am sorry, I was wrong - the father could be A as well... here is an article that seems pretty detailed.

http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/Newborn/babys_blood_type.html
168006 tn?1241012961
From my understanding, father would have to be O-
640548 tn?1340553355
It's a long explanation, really.  Just like blue eyes, o blood is a recessive gene.  You need an o from each parent to be o blood.  Like brown hair, a and b blood are dominant.  If you get an o from one parent and an a from another, the baby will be a.  If you get an a from one parent and a b from the other, because they are both dominant types the baby will be ab.  Negative rh is also recessive, needing a - gene from each parent, while + is dominant, only needing from one parent.  

If mom is a+, she can still carry a recessive gene for o-, from one of her parents.  If dad is o- he can only carry 2 o- genes.  The baby will get an o- gene from dad and either an a or o gene and - or + gene from mom.  Baby can be either o-, o+, a+ or a-.
A baby with 2 o- parents will only be o-, but a baby with an o+ and an o- parent could be either  or, if the + parent also carries the recessive - gene.  

You will not be able to tell if someone is definately the parent of a child by blood types, and you may only rarely be able to say definately that someone cannot be the parent.  If that is the issue, you need to have a DNA test.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.