Women's Health: Postpartum Community

brestfeeding and missed period

Hi to everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on this one.
Right, I am exclusively breastfeeding my baby, I got my first period when he was 6 weeks
old. It was heavy lasted 5 days. A week later i got another period which lasted another 5
days. Since then iall i got was some brown discharge not even spotting, 3 weeks after the
last bleeding, then the discharge disappeared for 1 week. then brown discharge again.
the last bleeding (period) was 18 march and as mentioned above lasted 5 days. i did not have a
normal period since. i had unprotected sex with my husband several times but the hpt last
week was negative. could it be just hormonal changes and not pregnancy?

any advice is much appreciated
The brown discharge is somewhat normal after you've had a baby... I am experiencing that right now myself (My DD is about 11 weeks old) as your cervix can still be sensitive and still healing and sex can stir things up a bit. Also the brown discharge can be because of release of progesterone (which could cause the absence of periods/ovulation- your body mimics how it is when you are pregnant when you are exclusively breastfeeding). The discharge can also happen when you are exercising more or even going longer between a feeding. However, since you have had unprotected sex (are you hoping to get pregnant?), I would wait a couple more weeks and then test again, it is possible to be pregnant while breastfeeding.