A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
177988 tn?1266802499

can i have a drink?

I am 25 today and would love a margarita!  I had my baby on Thursday and she's breastfeeding.  I don't have an electric pump and my milk isnt very in ... If I have a small one this evening, do you think it will be okay or will it go into my colostrum/new milk?
63 Responses
It does, but wait an hour and breastfeeding is ok. Actually, alcohol (beer) used to be used to help bring in the milk in nursing mothers. I think that it relaxes the muscles or maybe something in the hops??? Anyhow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Have a great day!
Happy b-day!!  I know (!) how you feel but I wouldn't drink and breastfeed your baby.  Enjoy your bday.  Maybe have a virgin drink for now???
93532 tn?1349374050
No, I would not advise drinking at all this early. Your baby is way too young to cope with the lingering alcohol in your milk, they cannot even process caffeine this early, let alone alcohol.

Find an alternative, maybe a sparkling juice or something of the like. Perhaps make a margarita minus the liquor and pretend ; )
172023 tn?1334675884
Virgin?  What does this strange word mean, "virgin"?
93532 tn?1349374050
And FYI, no one advocates drinking and nursing anymore. In the rare time you do find someone, I suggest running far and fast. While it may relax you, you are then running the risk of passing this along to your baby. not everyone metabolizes alcohol at the same rate, so you may wait an hour and you baby may be getting it anyway.

Not worth it IMO. I have nursed three kids and have NEVER had a professional advise me to drink at all while nursing.
177988 tn?1266802499
k... didn't know if one drink would hurt or not... never mind
93532 tn?1349374050
Uh-oh, we've confused peek.

Hmmm, let's see. "VIRGIN" means no booze in it. You know, that stuff that makes you get naked and dance on the table? I know you have ahard time grasping it as it has been years since you have experienced anything virgin ; )
172023 tn?1334675884
WHAT????????????  What's the point, then?  

I've been a virgin plenty of times, btw.  Guys will believe anything.  
177988 tn?1266802499
Prob will just enjoy an ice cream cake :)  

PS: I may ask this later but I only lost 11 lbs since delivery... and 7.7 of that was her alone... I thought with all the fluid and placenta and shrinking of the uterus it would be more.  Am I being crazy? lol?
93532 tn?1349374050
Again, I am going to guess these men have not partaken in anything virgin for a while either if they believe that load of c-r-a-p ; )
172023 tn?1334675884
I've gained 50 pounds since I last gave birth.  I think I gained your 11 pounds since Thursday.  
Hey I'm actually a nurse in a maternity unit and we tell mom's it's fine to have 1 drink, just breastfeed before you have it, then wait at least an hour before breastfeeing again. In an hour, one standard drink will be out of your system and not in the breastmilk. It's really ok.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.