Women's Health: Postpartum Community

chronic endometritis questions

At 3 months postpartum I was found to have a retained placenta. I had a D&C that resulted in a perforated uterus. I was hospitalized for a week and had 2 blood transfusions, but never received any antibiotics. That was 20 months ago. Since then, I have had chronic pelvic pain, pain when I urinate, and extremely painful periods particularly when standing up. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with chronic endometritis. I have been on antibiotics for 3 weeks and my symptoms have not improved at all. What is the next treatment if after 4 weeks of antibiotics my endometrial biopsy comes back positive for inflammation again? What kind of risks does this pose for future pregnancies?
Hi deb412,
Sorry to hear what you have been through and are going thru now.  My chronic endometritis was just diagnosed. 3 1/2 years after having my son.  Discovered, because I have not been able to get pregnant again.  I really don't have have any major symptoms: just vague pelvic discomfort, and strange periods -they are much shorter/lighter than in the past. I recall having had a high fever/feeling terrible a few weeks after having my baby, they treated me for mastitis, with an antibiotic that was relatively safe for nursing.  Anyway, my doctor has given me Augmentin x 7 days,to try see if this could help (also mention Flagyl which is approved for Endometritis.). I have little hope that this will help me conceive, as I could have had an this problem for a long time and the damage may be done.  The next step for me will be a hystoscopy/laproscopy to see what's going on inside and assuming that there is scarring/calcifications to see if things can be cleaned up at all.  
Which antibiotic were you on?  What are you on now?  I wonder if they would recommend a laproscopy surgery for you....
I had a baby in Apr. 2007.  One week after I was hospitalized with acute endometritis and given IV antibiotics for a few days.  The pain got much better and was discharged.  Then I started having chronic abdominal pain that could not be diagnosed.  I saw several gyn's and finally one suggested doing a D&C and abdominal laparoscopy to see what was going on.  I was diagnosed with chronic endometritis.  Then a few months later I was pregnant.  My current OB said I would not have been able to get pregnant if I'd still had the chronic endometritis.  At 24 weeks I started having pre-term labor and was hospitalized for the duration of my pregnancy.  It's been a month since I had my baby and I'm having the very same abdominal pain I had before.  Does anyone know if you can get pregnant with chronic endometritis and if that could be what caused the pre-term labor?  And if so, how can I get rid of it now because I don't think antibiotics are going to help.