Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

cramping but no period..

I'm 22 and I've never had a child.. My cycles have not been regular since I was 16 but I usually have one every 3 months.. I haven't had a cycle since the end of November but I am experiencing cramping and breast tenderness, but not bleeding, not even spotting.  What are the chances of me being pregnant if my husband and I have only had sex 7 times since December?
1 Responses
351246 tn?1379685732
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi!
Well, chances are less, but not impossible. Yes, irregular periods decrease your chance of becoming pregnant. Many a times there is no ovulation when there are irregular periods. Also it is very difficult to know the exact date of ovulation when your periods are irregular. So calculating the fertile time becomes difficult. Some irregular periods are due to hormone imbalance. So this causes difficulty in the fertilized ovum to implant in the uterus.
Hence it is important to find the cause of irregular periods and treat them if you want to conceive.
Wait until the maximum number of days after which you have had a period in the past. If you still do not get them, take a pregnancy test, preferably a blood HCG estimation as this is more reliable. If this is negative, it is best to consult a gynecologist and find out why you have irregular periods. High level of stress, dramatic changes in your life style, high cholesterol, hormonal imbalance as seen in thyroid problems and PCOS, chain smoking, may be some of the common causes of your irregular periods. Cushing’s disease and disorders of adrenal gland, tumors of the ovaries and adrenals, insulin resistance and obesity are some of the other factors. Prolonged use of oral contraceptive pills is another cause. Other important local causes of irregular periods are PCOS and fibroid uterus. PCOS causes cysts to form on the ovaries, interfering with regular ovulation. Diagnosis is by blood tests like blood insulin levels, serum testosterone and androgen levels and by ultrasound. I sincerely advice you to consult a gynecologist and get it evaluated.  
Take care!
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.