Women's Health: Postpartum Community

difference between spotting and light bleeding

please don't get irritated at this, as I'm a bit confused. What is the main difference between spotting and light bleeding? I don't know what it is that I'm experiencing, and for me to define the difference would help. I don't have insurance so I can't go to the OB, and it costs $125 for bloodwork. The pink and brown stuff is only there when I wipe. This has been going on for 8 out of the last 9 days. It comes and goes. My period isn't due at least until this friday, and this started last monday. Light cramping, high temps. Coverline is 96.6 and it's been between 97.5 and 97.7 since supposedly O'ing (FF). Do I count this as my AF? Has anyone else spotted/bled for so long before their AF started? I've taken a hpt and it was negative. I've looked this up on the internet, but all that pops up is bleeding during pregnancy and implantation bleeding.
If you dont need to wear a pad and the blood is pink or brown this could be described as spotting,full flow red blood is not classed as spotting.
Also sometimes spotting is sometimes literaly just small spots of blood.
A HPT is more accurate the day your period is due or the few days after.
hope this helps
thank you for responding so fast. So I don't consider this a light bleed then? When it does turn redish (between pink and red in very small amounts) it's only there when I wipe. After it's 'redish', it's back to brown or nothing. Is there supposed to be a temp drop when you are spotting? I don't believe now this is IB, as I've seen it many times before, and it's never lasted this long.
I agree, I have always considered spotting to be just when you wipe, nothing on the panties or a pad otherwise. It is odd it is lasting so long, I would have to agree that it isn't implantion bleeding.

Andi
I won't be irritated with you, if you try not to be with me! :)

I have always seriously wondered why if someone doesn't have enough money to go to the doctor even one time, why would you actively pursue a pregnancy with all its associated expenses? I do understand wanting a child, but why would someone not wait until they have insurance or improved financial means?  Kids are terribly expensive, as is pregnancy and the misc costs. Sometimes better circumstances come along with a bit of planning and waiting.  Sometimes not, but family expenses and a realistic budget should come before adding in another expense.  

I know it just sounds horrible to say that, and I apologize for asking, but I truly am stymied whenever I hear that someone can't afford to go to the doctor, yet are planning a massive expense like another child.

I hope I didn't upset you by asking, but please clear up for me what the thought process is, so I can understand better.  I'm very dense!  I stopped at 2 kids, because we couldn't afford to have any more.  Sure I wanted more, but had to be reasonable with our circumstances.  

Hope everything works out well for you, and my apologies if I upset anyone.
It's not that I don't have the money to take a blood test, I've done it before a couple years ago. It's just it costs so much for getting it done, plus the dr's appt fee. I don't have insurance right now because I currently support a family of 4 waitressing, and my work doesn't offer insurance. We tried, but there's not enough full time employees. My DH will be done with school in september. I told him I don't care how much $ he makes as long as we get insurance. Believe me, I wish I could go to my OB with my problems, but she doesn't take cash, something about she gets reimbursed thru the insurance companies. If I do get pregnant in the meantime, I would qualify for insurance thru the state. I hate sounding like a bum, but I've paid my dues. I currently have 2 children, 2 1/2 and 9 month old. I have certain health problems that I wish I could get fixed w/ insurance. My family doctor is really cool and he doesn't charge me for my office visits. Plus my OB told me that if I ever needed help, I could pay for the biopsies and such, but that'll get very expensive. I just have to have cause for getting health insurance thru the state. So, I'm not willing in the meantime to call up my OB, figure out how much I owe her for the dr visits, pay for bloodwork and tests to be done when I could just hold off for a couple more months to see what's wrong. I've had lots of breakthru bleeding before (mini periods) in the past, but not as light as this one. I've had normal pap smears, so I don't know if it's some kind of hormonal problem. I'm not irritated, it's just no one fully understands where I come from. Plus it's a real pain in the butt for me to take both babies with me to the doctors, when it's me being checked out.
I'm writing this in the defense of those wanting more children and not necessarily have the "perfect" financial situaion.  This board is for help and answers to questions.  It is not here for us to point judgement at others or try to "read into" why they are trying to concieve.  You never "really" know a person's situation, so you should never judge or even ask for that matter.  If someone wants to share their personal life with us they will.  Otherwise, answer their questions and move on.