Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

down syndrome or what?

Two babies of mine were suspected to be down syndrome by clinical analysis. Both died, for second child karyotyping was performed and report was negative. Number of chromosomes were 46 also no attachment of chromosomes. What was the problem with my children? Do we the parents needs to get chromosomal analysis?.Were my children Mosaic type of trisomy 21?Any chances of improvement or cure?
Kashif from Pakistan
2 Responses
I do not really know much on this subject, but I have read on here that quite a few parents do have tests, just to ensure that everything is in order.

I'm sorry that I can not give you more info, but maybe you should ask your doctor about tests that are available  for your husband and yourself.

All the best.
At least for the second child, if a chromosomal analysis was performed (karyotyping) and it did not show an extra 21st chromosome, then it could not have been Down Syndrome.  I think that genetic screening for both of you is a good idea though to help rule out other potential problems.

By the way, my younger brother was born with Downs Syndrome and he was the greatest gift to our family.  We adored him and he had so many wonderful qualities, including great courage.  When he was 18 he was diagnosed with leukemia and he was sick until he died just after his 25th birthday.  You can read more about him at

http://www2.caringbridge.org/ca/chrisrivera/

We miss him terribly.
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.