Women's Health: Postpartum Community

early pregnancy question

Hello... I have never posted on a site like this before but I though I would go ahead and try it to ease my anxiety....

So here is my story...

I found out I was pregnant June 3rd from an at home pregnancy test. On June 6th I went in to the doctors so they could confirm my pregnancy and get me started on vitamins. When I went for my visit she felt inside and said she thought I was 6 weeks along so she scheduled for me to come back in two weeks 6/21/11 (today) to do an ultrasound. When I went into day she did just that... But didn't see anything. She asked me to go to the hospital to get blood work done, so I did and the results came back that I am at two months at 15,000 mIU/ml. over 10 (not quite sure what the 10 means) She wants me to go back in 48 hours as the results should double.

I am very nervous and scared as I want everything to be OK! Please any feed back will be great! I have one son that is now 22 months and I didn't have any problems with my pregnancy so this issue is scaring me and I don't know what will happen if the results don't double?

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my post!
Hi i don't really know anything about this so i just wanted to tell you there are questions just like yours on this site that could help you just go to search and put in pregnant but no baby in ultrasound you'll find answers and women to talk to who went through the same thing  i hope this helps you
Your doctor may have been off on her estimate and you aren't as far along as they think. Did they ask you when the first day of your last menstrual period was?

hCG levels in pregnancy have such a wide range of normal it is impossible to say how far along you are with any degree of precision based on hCG levels. Your result, 15,000 mIU/ml is is within normal range for between 6 to 8 weeks. That is a pretty big range. If you are 6 weeks instead of 8, it is very possible baby doesn't show up on an ultrasound yet.

Normally, in addition to the 2 blood draws to measure how much your hCG levels are increasing, your doctor will also do a repeat ultrasound in a week or two. Quite often it is just a case of baby not being as far along as they thought and the 2nd ultrasound shows a healthy but younger than expected baby.