Aa
A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members

engorged breasts?

My baby is 4 days old and I'm breastfeeding but my breasts started to get really hard/heavy and they hurt. My baby can still feed but I feel like I have an overproduction of milk.Is there anything I can do to alieve this?
8 Responses
4268628 tn?1375044776
Put warm compress on before you feed for about 10 min, or take a shower before you feed baby. It will take awhile while your body regulates how much milk it needs to produce. If the letdown becomes too strong for your baby, hand express some first before latching baby on.
Thank you!!
That's very normal to be engorged at this point. Don't worry, your body will regulate it after a week or so. As long as your baby isn't having trouble eating its just going to be uncomfortable for a while, not something to worry about. You actually don't want to put anything warm on them, that will stimulate more production. If it gets bad, a cool compress will help with pain and reduce milk. production. Nursing in different positions may help as it drains different parts of the.breast, as will massaging parts of your breast that feel clogged. Hang in there, take it one day at a time, and it will level out! I promise!
And cold, boiled cabbage leaves help too!
Thank you! everything is going great now:)
You can also pump and freeze your milk
My baby is a week old and he is my 3 rd breastfed child your milk will start to be on his schedule in a day or so for now ypu can pump, place a watm washcloth on them, take a shower and let warm water hit them, or massage the sore spots before and during nursing good luck!
Thank you! The first week was the worst; however, it has gotten so much better. I wouldnt have it any other way:)
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.