explain vasectomy to child

My husband is having a vasectomy.  He will be recovering at home for a few days.  What do we tell our child?  How much do we say?  We want to be honest, but we aren't interested in his vasectomy becoming common knowledge on the playground.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I certainly wouldn't go into detail.  I think Andi's right.   Tell him/her daddy had surgery and will be sore for a few days.
Helpful - 0
I gotta say I agree with peek and Andi - nice and simple - I think Andi's suggestion was just about perfect - besides if you will do "that" to Daddy - what might you do to him????  Children will worry about the weirdest things - don't give him any additional reasons
Helpful - 0
Why do you feel the need to tell the child EXACTLY what's going on?  Since you said "playground" I'll think it's safe to assume he's young.  I wouldn't go into much details.
Helpful - 0
My dh had his done last year just after our oldest turned 5. He didn't need a graphic detail of what happened, just simply that daddy had surgery and was going to be sore for a while. When he does ask about another brother or sister, we simply tell him we have the perfect amount with our three boys and that we don't need anymore.
Helpful - 0
How old is the child?

I would just say "Daddy has an owie and has to rest" if the child is very young.  If older, I guess just tell a simple version of the truth, with a reminder that this is private, not to be talked about with random strangers.
Helpful - 0
tmv
Depending on the childs age, you can keep it simple and not go into too much detail.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.