Women's Health: Postpartum Community

heavy bleeding in early pregnancy

I am about 4-5 weeks pregnant, and I am experiencing heavy red bleeding. It started about the same time my normal period would start, and it feels about the same as a normal period would. But I am concerned that this could be happening for several different reasons. I am not in as much pain as a miscarriage would cause, but just a little back and abdominal discomfort as if it were my period. The same day the bleeding started (yesterday), I was abnormally fatigued, hot, dizzy and short of breath while simply standing up doing my make up but not in any pain what so ever, then about 5 hours later I had a little normal discharge followed by a small amount of blood. Later that night before bed, the blood was flowing heavier and was a combination of red, new blood color and a little darker like the color of old blood. I put on a maxi pad and went to bed. I woke up this morning and went to the bath room, and i didn't have much blood on my pad, but just a little bit of dark blood mixed w/ a little bit of bright red blood. But when i was done urinating, a lot of bright red blood came out and was still in the toilet even after i flushed. Almost all of what I'm experiencing seems to be similar to my period, but I'm worried it could be something more serious. This past week has been a very stressful one, and i did have a panic attack the night before the fatigue, dizziness and bleeding started (2 days ago), and I'm wondering if this could be the cause of what I'm experiencing?
Panic attacks don't cause miscarriages, though it could be possible for a miscarriage to cause a panic attack through the loss of blood (drop in iron) in your system.

The flooding is not a good thing.  They say a sign of miscarriage is filling a maxipad in an hour, and flooding like you are describing is pretty much the same thing.  I would not expect many painful symptoms if you are miscarrying, because it is so early.  So, unfortunately, there is nothing in your description that absolutely rules miscarriage out.  

Unfortunately also, if you are miscarrying, there is nothing that can be done medically to stop it.  I once went to the ER with bleeding in my 6th week, and my doctor lectured me later that it was a waste of time and a good way to get sick from something right there in the ER.  I think it was his friendly way of telling me that there is no medical way to save an embryo that is determined to go.

However, there is a protocol for bleeding in early pregnancy.  My doctor's instructions were based on the possibility that the bleeding was from something other than the loss of the embryo.  If there is a broken blood vessel in the uterus, and the uterus has begun to have contractions (but there is presumably nothing wrong with the embryo or its connection), what you can do is to try to ease the contractions.  To do this, you keep fully hydrated, and stay on bed rest (or off your feet), only getting up to pee.  My doc instructed me to stay down until 24 hours after the bleeding stopped.  I took extra iron during the bleeding also.

If you get so much bleeding that you are really dizzy (or pass out) when you stand up, or if you get a fever, go to the ER.  Otherwise, stay in bed if you can.  As I said, sadly there is no way to prevent a miscarriage, but if it is just some bleeding, you might be able to affect that and keep the uterus from contracting (always good to prevent).

Good luck!