Women's Health: Postpartum Community

how do you feel about same sex parents??

I dont want to offend anyone, so i will be careful what i say here. I watched a baby story the other day with 2 women who were having a baby. Honostly...it totally turned me off to the show that i love to watch almost daily. Kennedy has a child in her class with 2 moms as well. In this state, same sex marriage is illegal. I just dont get it. Does anyone else have an opinion? Once again i do not want to offend anyone.
I feel that what happend behind closed doors is none of my business.  What is more important is the type of person you are and how you treat those around you.  Infact, two of my closest friend are lesbians who are raising one of the nicest little boys I have ever come across.  The rest is of no concern to me.
i was just watching a video clip on MSN about twin boys who invented wedgy proof underwear, and the TV new caster announced they were back stage with their "moms"!!!! Personally, i dont agree with it, i think there should be a balance of both male figure and female figure in a childs life when growing up. I know there are alot of people out there who grew up with a parent missing or lived in a house with pure women or pure men and turned out fine, but the results with that balance is even better. However, if i were to meet same sex parents I would not treat them any differently as i would regurlar parents thought i dont agreee with it.
Well perhaps being in California makes the difference, b/c here it just isn't an 'issue'. I not only see nothing wrong w/it, but am so happy to see a child surrounded by 2 loving people who will show them a healthy relationship of love and respect, no matter what the sex. My husband was actually raised in a lesbian household, and is one of the most compassionate, caring people I've ever met. I don't particular like seeing 2 women or men affectionate, but, hey...that's me. I think just love in general should be encouraged and embraced. How wonderful it would be that children see 2 loving, interested parents more often than the so many kids w/ disinterested or missing dads, etc.
I don't think you'll offend people. One of the great things about this forum is expressing opinions and just knowing there's many opinions out there!
I would rather have a happy child in a happy same sex relationship than an unhappy child from an abusive marriage.
well i don't "go that way" but it would offend me if a girl hit on me...however same sex...is perfectly fine to me anyways..there is a male couple that lives right beside me..they are very nice...in any cases do i find it okay for a homosexual as well as a heterosexual couple to be all over eachother in a public place...my way of thinking has surely changed in the past few years...if you are happy with the person you are with then so be it...personally i don't see a problem..here in canada it is becoming coming out more and i find that is awesome...i find that not so many people here re to judge allTHAT much but there is the few that are very ignorantabout it...for a same sex coupe to choose to have a baby i think it takes alot of courage because there will always be te few that will talk about them or whatl not..(not sayin you re one of them...u just made a comment and it is fine...it seems as though u are trying to somewhat accept the idea or find info n thats fine...)also i find that whether a child is in a normal parent family..mom n dad or single parent..same sex..group home..friends etc...what makes a family is not just a mum n a dad..to me anyways because u could have both n they are awful parents...family to me doesnt have to be biological(not sure if it makes sense lol im french) but either way its like your race and etnicity n colour n religion...just because like for example the city i grew up in are caucasian n once in a blue moon would you come across an african/jamaican...im not sure whch term to use i try n be careful on these things but anywho..so just because of ur race because the outstanding majority is caucasian...were they not allowed to attend a school with caucasian people? see the way i thin of it is if tey are willing to work hard at being parets since most of them are often awesome parent...who are we to say the dont deserve the same happiness of parenting a wonderful child...alot of them choose to adopt since obviously same sex cannot make babies but t us its wonderful right well to them its just as wonderful whether they adopt or get implanted etc...i see where u sre coming from but try n keep an open mind...its a rough world out there for same sex couples..i hope everyon just would accept them..maybe one day...in a perfect world...i hope thos helps maybe???
I think its a beautiful thing .... love is love in any combination.
I say as long as the child is happy.   When you see same sex couples they want the same things as we do (a family).  So if they can give a child love, a great home, and a wonderful life, who are we to judge?  
I don't see anything wrong with it.  I would personally much rather a child be raised by 2 loving parents in a safe home with love and open, honest communication and understanding.  How many kids are raised by a single parent anyway?  Wouldn't it be better to have 2 parents than one no matter what their sex is?  love is love.....
This would have been a great post for Women's Community forum.
I have a hard time believing that in this day an age that people still think this way.  There are wars going on and huge world issues and if two people are in love and want to raise a child (which is completely legal here in Canada) I can't see why that would be any concern to anyone else.  I think it is because of negative attitudes that homosexual people must go through all the hardships that they do.  It is in discussing these things that perpetuates the cycle.  I have a huge issue with people who have closed minds and discriminatory attitudes raising children.  II dont think they should be allowed (sounds silly doesn't it). I would hate to have a bunch of discriminatory people running around this world.  
On a positive note, I am very happy with most of the opinions on this page.  I am glad to see more positive than negative.  
Personally, I don't agree with same sex relationships - on a practical level - I work with children and I see hetero couples every day who should never ever have children - I've also been fortunate enough to have several same sex families in our center and it was an amazing experience.  Despite our own personal beliefs, there is NOTHING that says same sex parents aren't GOOD parents.  They love their children, they take them to church, teach them at home, care for them, and advocate for them.  Isn't that what every child should have regardless of the sex of their parent?  I am a big believer that love grows in the heart - NOT in the womb (or the sexual organs in this case)
Just for interest's sake...... What exactly don't you "beleive in"?  It sounds to me as if you are a positive person with an open mind.  What is it you don't "believe in?
I don't agree with it.  BUT  my only experience with it has turned me off.  Here's why.  Two women raising a 13 yr old.   The 13 yr old was watching the boys play baseball and commented about how cute one was.  The moms then started pointing out girls saying look at that one, she's cute.  She has a cute figure.  Go talk to her.  Seemed to me like they were trying to get the girl interested in girls.    I just wonder now how often same sex marriage influence the child to go to same sex also.

**putting on protective armour now**  
How often do you encourage your children to seek attention from the opposite sex?  LoL (protective armour)
My kids are 11 and 7 so I definately don't encourage them to seek attention from either sex.    I really try to be open minded.  I've only know a couple gay people in my life.  But what these women were doing seemed so wrong.  Why encourage someone that age to look at either sex?   I do not care for public displays of affection whether it's a man/woman, 2 men, or 2 women.  Some things are better left behind closed doors.
great question for the women's community.....
This is one of those subjects, just like abortion, where many will think different things.  My two cents - I don't do it or would I ever and don't want my children to do it either.  It is a sin and it is against what God has said in the Bible.  Now, we all sin and I am not perfect.  I have know a couple of bi people and they were really good people.  I never once told them that I thought they were wrong in their lifestyles.  What they do is what they do.  In my book, it is wrong.  Only what I think and I am not saying they are bad people and they shouldn't have children.  
I think I'll put my two cents in since, I work in an industry where the men are predominately gay. And I live in Nyc which is probably one of the most tolerable cities in the US.
I feel that love has no eyes. Love knows no color, no size, no race, no sex. All a child needs to grow is food, water, shelter and love.  I dont believe that you have to be an opposite sex couple to give the child a happy home.  And I dont believe that just because you are an opposite sex couple, you can provide a better home than a couple who is of the same sex.  I've seen many stories both on tv and in my own personal life of instances where a couple is unfit to take care of a child and is taken away. So why not give that child a fighting chance at life and allow a loving/stable couble (be it same or opposite sex) to adopt him/her or have their own baby anyway they choose how. It may not be appealing to some but, I think overall, it's what's best for the child, period.    
I think that kids have a hard enough time with all of the ridicules of others without adding to it. Maybe I'm alone here, but it is just too confusing for them to understand. Where are our values? (stirring up a bees nest, but personal viewpoint)
I can probably guess that your Daughter has been asked if she has a boyfriend in her class (my niece in kindergarten has been asked that many times) or your son if he has a girlfriend.  I think those women (although probably a little early) were trying to encourage their child to have an open mind, be who she/he is as a human being and trying to let their child know that they would be happy with whatever their child is.  I don't think there is much wrong with that.  That is all I am trying to say.  I think your right in saying "why encourage someone that age to look at either sex" however, that is NOT what you were taking issue with.  You were taking issue with the fact that they were encouraging their child to look at the SAME sex.
Thank you - you put it so eloquently.
My philosophy is "To each his own". If it works out for a family to be this way, great. I personally do not really care for the idea of being gay. But again, to each his (or her) own. Keep in mind relationships can go sour regardless of same sex or not. One of my good friends mothers decided after years that she is a lesbian. She has had one bad relationship after another and has even been battered by another woman. People are people. I'm just not quite sure that two women or two men would be capable of understanding their heterosexual child, just as a heterosexual parent would have a hard time understanding their homosexual child. I would think that they could possibly influence their child in a way that might confuse the child more so than usual. This brings up the nature vs nurture question also. I'm still not convinced that gay is genetic. ((((protective armor))))
There is a huge difference between asking your child if they have a boyfriend/girlfriend and pointing out people to them.  A parent should not be pointing people out to a child.  I would be just as upset if it was a mom or dad pointing out the opposite sex to their child.  
I'm not convinced that gay is genetic either.