Women's Health: Postpartum Community

incidence of trisomy16 in next pregnancy?

HI,I AM 30 YR OLD.I HAD A MISSCARRIAGE IN AUG 2001 AT 9 WEEKS,THEY SAID IT WAS A BLIGHTED OVUM.AGAIN I WAS PREGNANT IN 2003 JULY ,I STARTED SPOTING AT 5 WEEKS,THEY DID ULTRASOUND AT 6 WEEKS,THERE IS HEART BEAT,AFTER TWO WEEKS THEY DID U/SAGAIN AND THERE IS NO HEART BEAT AND THEY DID D/C.WE SENT THE FETAL TISSUES FOR GENETIC TESTING AND IT CAME OUT AS 47XX 16.MY DOCTOR SAID TESTS ARE NORMAL.TSH,BLOODGLUCOSE,ANTICARDIOLIPIN ANTIBODIES,LUPUSANTICOAGULENT,PROLACTIN ALL ARE NORMAL EXCEPT FOR ELEVATED PTT.MY DOCTOR REFERRED ME TO REPRODUCTIVE ENDOCRINOLOGIST.WHAT SHOULD I DO?MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE CHANCE OF RECURRENCE OF TRISOMY 16?IS BILGHTED OVUM AND TRISOMY 16 SAME?CAN I TRY FOR NEXT PREGNANCY OR JUST FORGET ABOUT KIDS.NO FAMILY HISTORY OF GENETIC DISEASES.IS THAT GOING TO CAUSE DOWNS SYNDROME?I SEARCHED ALL THE MEDICAL BOOKS BUT THEY DID NOT FIND ABOUT TRISOMY 16.I SEARCHED ON THE NET AND ITS SCARY.CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME WHAT I SHOULD DO,OR ANY SUGGESTION.

THANX FOR YOUR TIME AND I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME.
Hi, I really wish I could help you but I have know idea. Maybe when Christie comes around she would have some insight, she's a labour and delivery nurse and she's really knowledgeable. Try in the health boards, I've had good luck there.
I really don't know.  You probably need to talk to a genetic counselor about this.  I certainly do know of women who have had successful, normal pregnancies after having a fetal loss involving different trisomies.  You will probably be encouraged to undergo genetic testing during the pregnancy, though.
hi well we have the same story almost. i to have lost several babies. I go in for my ultrasound and theres no heartbeat. I do have a bicornate uterus, but my doc wonders if that is the reason. i did go in for genetic testing and i have to wait a month for the results. that was very discouraging,but what can I do?? But i wanted to address your comment about wether or not you should forget having kids, I beleive that with God all things are possible and many women i have ran into have said that some Doc told them to forget it and they have kids now, so don't give up sweetie, it can happen!!!
Thank you all.Hopeinal post me about your results,i am concerned about you.my email id is manasa_1177***@****.
Blighted ovum and trisomy 16 are entirely different - and it would be very rare to have another trisomy pregnancy at your age.  If it was a full trisomy (meaning a full third 16th chromosome) then is was most likely just random chance and you have a high probability of success next time.  It is possible to test at 12 weeks for chromosomal abnormalities next time using CVS (assuming you live somewhere close to a skilled facility.)
  Best wishes.