inducing with pitocin

i am suppose to be going in tomorrow on may 17th to be induced with pitocin and i just now started reading about it i did not ask my doctor any questions about which now i wish i would have i am really scared i read alot of bad stories on the internet. can anyone tell me about this stuff a little before tomorrow?
I t will help bring on your contractions.  SOmetimes the come on fast and hard just be prepared.  You will be fine tho.  Good luck and congrats!
You poor thing.  The things you can find on the internet can scare you to death.  I had to avoid lots of pregnancy sites etc. for that reason.  I was induced twice with pitocin.  It's a synthetic version of the hormone your body releases in labor.  It can cause them to be stronger, and in my case they came a lot quicker, but I was able to handle it.  You are already there in the hospital and can easily get pain meds as you need them.  My sil was induced with her 2nd baby and never felt her contractions till the last 1/2 hr. right before she began to push.  Her husband literally had to tell her when she was having a contraction.  Had I not seen it I would not have believed it.  Didn't need pain meds till she was at a 7 and then right after she got the IV drug she went right to a 10 and had baby out fast.  Labor is scary and exciting, total rush, it's okay to be scared.  I was nervous going back in for baby #2.  The nurses are great and will explain things as they are happening.  Try to do something special for yourself today and relax as much as you can.  Good luck tomorrow!
I was induced w/pitocin with baby number 1 and 2.  I was not dialated w/either when I went into the hospital.  They did the IV of pitocin, as my dr. noticed my water was 'leaking' w/both pregnancies.  The first was on time, and the second was 2 weeks early.

It was painful, but very effective.  They were both born vaginally after 12 hours from the beginning of the pitocin. I got an epidural w/both when I was dialated to 2, and was able to relax and progress quicker after that.  

My advice:  Talk to people like your doing, but don't look stuff up on the internet.  Much of it can be very contadicting, and there doesn't have to be any accuracy to it to be posted online.  Researching the internet when it comes to something like this is something you should try very hard to STAY AWAY from.  Ask your dr. these questions, and take in personal experiences.

Good luck!  You'll do fine!  
I too, was induced with pitocin three out of four times. The contractions were harder and closer together than my one without, but it was just as effective and my longest labor, which was my first was only 8 hours from start to finish. My other two with the pitocin were only about 4 hours. You will be fine and I agree, don't look at stuff on the internet. Pitocin is safe and effective.
I was induced with pitocin and it was painful.  But I went to 8cm w/o meds and then got one dose of IV drugs.  Which I wish I never got to begin with b/c they really only take the edge off and my DD was out 45 mins later and it affected her breastfeeding. But since it was my only child I don't know if it's more painful than regular labor.  But from what I've heard it does make contractions stronger and closer together, so maybe it is!

Put it this way...they started the pitocin on my at 1:50pm and my DD was out at 5:31pm!!!  Yes, that's just about 3.5 hours with 17 mins of pushing!
thank you so much everyone i did not expect to get such a fast reaction to this. i feel better the more stories i am hearing this is my 4th baby so i will tell you if its worse with the pitocin (lol) and i will post on here somewhere the weight and stuff for her when i get home. i really want to thak you all because up until i found this site and you all reacted to it i was pretty uptight. but you all are making me relax alot more thank you thank you thank you!!!!!
You are welcome! Good luck tomorrow and yes, please do give us all of the details! I envy you! I have to wait until August!!
awe well congrats on your little one also boy or girl do you know?
I had pitocin with all my babies

it was helpful

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community