Women's Health: Postpartum Community

inducing

Can someone please tell me about inducing your labor? Like if your water doesn't break and your not really having contractions i know thats not normal. I am due today and having no labor signs really. And i am sure in the next week somthing will happen but if not then the doc wants to induce and i hear it hurts and its painful and was wondering at what week they tend to do this? i am just very confused
THEY TEND TO DO IT ANYWHERE FROM 41-42 WEEKS.  MY DOCTOR WON'T DO IT EARLIER UNLESS YOU ARE ALREADY AT LEAST ONE CENTIMETER DIALATED.  SOMETIMES THE PITOCIN WILL TAKE A WHILE TO START LABOR.  I WOULD HOLD OFF.  MY LAST INDUCING CAUSED ME TO START BLEEDING REALLY BAD AND HAD TO HAVE AN EMERGENCY SECTION.  THE INDUCING FOR MY SECOND CHILD KEPT ME IN LABOR FOR A VERY LONG TIME AND I ALMOST HAD TO HAVE A SECTION.  THE EPIDUREL WILL TAKE AWAY THE PAIN, BUT PITOCIN IS NOT THE NATURAL WAY TO HAVE A BABY.  I FELT SO GOOD AFTER FIRST BABY, NO EPID, NO PITOCIN, THE WAY OUR BODIES WERE INTENDED TO GIVE BIRTH.  IT HURT LIKE HELL, BUT WAS WORTH IT AFTER.  WHEN THEY POP YOUR WATER AND START THE PITOCIN THOSE CONTRACTIONS HIT HARD.  TRY TO HANG IN THERE AND GIVE YOUR BODY A CHANCE TO AT LEAST START LABOR ON ITS OWN.  GO TO HERB STORE AND GET RED RASBERRY TEA LEAVES, THIS WILL STREGHTHEN YOUR UTERUS IN THE LITTLE TIME YOU HAVE AND SOMETIMES TRIGGERS LABOR.  WANNA KNOW THE REAL WAY TO GET YOUR OWN BODY TO TRIGGER LABOR?  NIPPLE STIMULATION, YOU DO IT LONG ENOUGH, YOUR BODY WILL PRODUCE NATUAL PITOCIN.
Hello!  I was induced last Tuesday at 39.5wks.  I was also afraid of the pitocin b/c I had heard how painful it can be.  My water was broken at 9:50 in the morning and they started pitocin about 11:00 to help bring on stronger contractions.  I had an epidural shortly after that and felt wonderful.  I highly recommend an epidural!  It made the day a lot nicer b/c I was feeling sociable and had several visitors throughout the day.  It almost felt like I wasn't even in labor b/c I couldn't feel anything.  They gradually increased my pitocin as the day went on b/c the baby and I were both tolerating it very well.  The hospital I was at start inductions at 39 weeks, if your body has started the labor process naturally (I was 3cm and 80% effaced when I went in)  I guess their thinking is that if the baby is ready, there is no sense in mom being uncomfortable and baby continuing to grow and grow.  Every hospital is different on their views of this.  Generally, a doctor will not let you go past 41-42 weeks.  Don't be afraid of inductions or even labor itself.  It is a beautiful (and yes painful) process that results in the birth of your wonderful baby!  Are you dilated or effaced at all?  TRUST ME, I know how stressful the "waiting game" can be...but it will all be worth it in the end.  Good luck!!!
Amy
Well like i said my due date is today so i have a dr appt on tuesday if i don't go into labor by then and then after that the doc wants to set an appt to get induced... i had a dr appt the previous tuesday and was dilated 1cm and i have no clue what efface means... and when i went to the doc yesterday they didn't even check to see if i was dilated i am just confused and obviously new to this, this being my first and all. And i am sure a baby can grow alot in 2 weeks i don't want to end up pushing out a really big baby LOL
The problem with pitocin induction is that it is not like real labor--much more intense--the pitocin is given slowly and then increased until each contraction is the same intensity and same distance apart.  Not like real labor at all which gives you breaks with some contractions less strong and some with longer breaks.  That's probably why so many women go for the epidural--pitocin labor is more than the body can reasonably take.  That being said, you can do things to get your cervix ready (it needs to be "ripe" for induction to work).  You can get a breast pump and pump your breasts three times a day for one hour each, you can take teas or tinctures of blue and black cohosh or you can take primrose oil capsules either by mouth or you can put them in your vagina.  None of these things will hurt the baby and will help your body get ready to have the baby.  You might even go into labor on your own--whoo-hoo!  Being a midwife I'm for letting the labor go on it's own with post dates testing to check for placental health.  Ask your doctor if you can have a non-stress test (NST) and fluid volume check (AFI) instead of just inducing just based on dates.  Most babies are really smart as to when they need to come out and if your tests come out positive there is no reason not to wait.
Louana the midwife
yea i really want to go into labor naturally and i have been walking alot or what not and i am sure walking doesn't help LOL but its good exercise if anything i pretty much and going one day at a time and hope i don't have to be induced because like you all have said its painful and not something i am looking forward to. But thank you all for your advice you seem to all know exactly what you are talking about and i really appreciate it
Don't be afraid of the baby getting too big--pushing out a baby is work no matter if it's a 6 lb baby or an 8 pounder.  Anyway, most women can easily delivery their babies without hospital interference.  The best approach, and safest, is to ge into labor naturally and see how things progress.  Nothing like letting your body do its reproductive thing as it's designed to do.  Remember, if labor and birth were as dependent on doctors and hospitals as the medical community would have you believe, most of us wouldn't be here in the first place.  95% of all births can be accomplished without any help!
Just sharing my expierence...

I have had 2 children and both were induced. I went full term with my first and then my second, i was lucky and my doctor induced at 37 weeks, she was 7Lbs. and healthy.. no problems. Anyway, They started the petocin(sp) at 8am, and gave me my epidural at 9:30, broke my water at noon,i felt no pain, she arrived at 5pm. i was laughing comfortable and was able to push her out. my delivery only lasted 2 mins.. again i was lucky.

We are TTC and Af should be here today, so far no signs of AF.. i am praying I am preggo.. haven't tested in 2 days, all have been bfn... So with this 3rd child i will again plan to be induced. For me i just like to know i am where i need to be and not be at a store and my water break, or deal with a lot of false labor and have to be sent home and uncomfortable. It does not hurt to be induced as long as you have an epidural. So don't be affraid. Every woman is different and so is every doctor. Good luck to you, enjoy the experience!
I went almost 42 weeks. The only thing I can say about being induced is this... If you choose or are planning to have an epidural, don't let them give it to you too early. Went into the hospital on a thursday afternoon as a scheduled induction, and they gave me the epidural on Friday afternoon. I didn't deliver until Saturday (early 2:11am) By the time I delivered the epidural had worn off and since they gave it to me so early they said it actually slowed down my labor. I have to admitt, being induced was actually pretty nice, instead of having to be worried about whether I'd know if it was really in labor I knew for sure I was :)
I had my labor induced 2 out of 3 times/ was supposed to be 3 but my middle son decided to come at 2:30 am when the induction was scheduled for 6am. I would o it over again to and I am pregnant right now and I will do it with this one if the Dr's recomend it. I had no problems with it. My daughter I had NO pain...zero zip and was in labor for quite some time with her. When they broke my water around 7-8cm is when I felt pain. But I was only 1cm dilated when they started pitocin. Then after they broke the water I got an epidural it was great. My son I got my epidural when they started the pitcoin and then had him 6 hours later so for me very pleasant experiences. My labor with my middle son was MUCH harder and the contractions were MUCH stronger I guess that's why i would rather have pitocin because my contractions were no where near as strong than when I just went on my own. It's weird and maybe I'm opposite than everyone but for me pitocin was good!! Good luck to you and baby nmo matter what you decide. I was going to let my daughter go natural she was 2 days past her due date. I was due may 3rd and checked my fluid levels on the 4th and they were pretty low they sent me straight to the hospital and I had her on the 5th. They had to put a cervadil in overnight and stop labor because my cdervix wasn't "ripe" enough but they had to get her out because the fluid level was so low. Keep us updated after you have her!!
I was due june 30th!! We are know at the 12th of july and still no talk about inducing.I am going crazy and wishing this was done. I went to have an ultrasound on the 12th of june and they said baby was then already weighing at over 7lbs. it has been a month since I had my ultrasound and have been pregnant for a long time. When will they induce me????I live 2hrs away from the hospital aswell and this is my 3rd child my 2nd was a very quick delivery 30 mins so I am scared that I will not make it to the hospital... any suggestions on how to get my doctor to induce me?? or keep me at the hospital at my next appt???
I had pitocin with both deliveries, but only the second was an honest-to-goodness induction.  My doctor used what he called the 'Bishop' score...some formula that takes into account effacement and dilation to make sure your body is ready for induction.   I had my baby six hours from the time I checked in at the hospital. My body has a hard time with epidurals, though (with my first I felt every contraction, although not the actual birthing...with my second I felt contractions up until about 30 min before birth).  But that last half hour was GREAT!  My baby was 8 1/2 pounds.
Oh boy...just noticed this thread was three years old!