A
A
A
Close
Women's Health: Postpartum Community
26.1k Members
199373 tn?1270491232

!@#$ing shot.

i gave birth dec. 15th, and was pressured by the hospital into receiving a depo-provera shot before leaving on the 18th. i was very unhappy about this, considering i never put any medication into my body w/o reading about it first, but felt as if i had no choice.

after reading about this horrible shot, i've learned that it should not be administered until 6 weeks after giving birth, due to the high levels contained in breast milk the first few weeks. i have been exclusively breastfeeding this entire time, and i'm EXTREMELY PISSED AND EXTREMELY WORRIED.

i feel that the hospital has been irresponsible in their administering this w/o following the directions given by pfizer (the makers of the shot).

has anyone else had this shot while breastfeeding before 6 weeks post partum?

i'm most definitely not going to follow up w/ the second shot... i gained 60lbs while pregnant and i was really hoping to lose it all... now i feel totally screwed thanks to this stupid shot and the irresponsible moron doctors who pressured me into receiving it.

i'm so worried about my baby... should i stop breastfeeding?

plus, i've battled severe depression my entire life, and it says in the drug info not to take if you've suffered such...

now i know why i can't stop crying...

and this worrying is just making it worse!
3 Responses
202436 tn?1326477933
First, contat the patient rep at the hospital and file a complaint.  If you have the docs names you can also file a complaint with the medical board in your state for each individual.  

Next I would go to an unbiased doc that doesn't know your situation and ask him/her about it.  Have you found any info on the net about possible side effects in the baby from breastfeeding?  
I gave birth to my baby on december 15th ,2010 and I was also forced to take this shot on the third day after giving birth. I researched about possible side effects but I can;t find any good answer. I stumbled upon this site and found out you stating exactly what I am going through right now. Moreover, it says not to give this shot if you had gestational diabetes and I had it while I was pregnant. I am just worried about my baby girl's health. Is your baby fine? I have also been exclusively breastfeeding now for over 8 weeks. Did you file a complaint?
5108300 tn?1371830920
this shot is so horrible.... horribleeee.... i am on my 3rd injection and whew it *****!!
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.