Women's Health: Postpartum Community

lactating breasts

Does anyone know when your breasts are supposed to start lactating? Again i am 38wks pregnant and was told that by now your breasts should be leaking. Well mine are not. Does that mean i may not beable to breast feed? or after i give birth is when it will start? Anyone know anything about this?
Mine did not either, but when my dd was born, I was able to breast feed no proble. So, do not worry, it will come with the baby! Just be ready for your boobs and nipples to get really sore!!!
Alot of women don't have their milk come in until 3 days after birth, so I think you're ok.  I've been leaking ever since 28 weeks, but it's not milk, it's colostrum.  HTH
This is sort of related...One of the nurses told me yesterday that one way to help progress early labor is to stimulate your nipples.  I tried for about two seconds before I realized that my nipples are extremely sensitive!!  I BD with DH earlier in the week and they were not sensitive then...is this a sign of anything?

Ni-ki - I started leaking out of my left breast at around 28 weeks.  It lasted only a few days and I haven't had any leaking since.  My doctor told me it's normal to lactate early and it's normal to not!  You should be fine!
I was kind of wondering something along these lines. My aerola's are very dark, and my nipples now have something weird going on...its like dry skin so when I peel it it comes off but it's kinda deep and it has a milky white attachment to it...is this even making sense?!?? Its like I was going to leak or something and it was too thick so it dried. Its not a scab and its just a couple little places on each.

It sounds gross-but it isnt really, and they are really sensitive. Just wondering if anyone has experienced that!
I didn't leak during my preg until DS was born. My colostreum came right away.  It was very sore though, I thought he was sucking the life out of me but it eventually got better!
My breasts didn't begin to leak until 3 days post partum when my milk came in. Leaking breasts during pregnancy is not at all an indication for one's ability to breastfeed. Good luck.
Thank you all very much for your comments i didn't think anything was wrong but most of my friends are asking me if my breasts are leaking and i feel stupid saying NO i feel like they should be but i also heard that once the baby is born thats when it starts... and i did hear it hurts and that kinda scares me BUT i think its worth it so we shall see... but again thank you all very very much i appreciate it.
Wanted to let you know I leaked at 29weeks & every so often after that but when my little guy was born I kept waiting for my chest to get sooo big like everyone says (had him on a Wed & he did not latch on until Fri morning) then it finally happened Mon. I really filled up :) The reason I'm telling you all this is that if you want to breastfeed don't let others try to tell a bunch of crazy stuff & make you change your mind. Even if it takes several days it will all work out & it's amazing how little milk you even need to produce the first couple of days b/c your baby will have such a tiny tummy:) Just some personal advice I nursed my son for 8mo & I also became the Pumping Queen :) so I tried many pumps & even had some to tear up. A single pump to me works really great w/ double pumps I never got enough suction so one pump was faster as crazy as that may sound & I pumped alot:) Also I don't know why in almost every book you read it claims that breastmilk pumped out will last for hours & hours out in room temp WRONG smell that stuff it will sour just like wholemilk. I always made an attempt to smell it before feeding my little guy his bottle (this is if you are out & don't have anywhere cold to store it) Usually about an hour to an hour & a half tops was the longest I could ever leave it out. Those gerber freezer bags worked great for storage. You'll do just fine!!!! love & prayers
Don't worry, that stuff is normal. They say the areola darkens so the baby can see it. I know what your talking about with that white substance, but I havn't a clue what it is? I read that your breast produce kind of a natural anti-bacterial when your nursing, maybe thats like a natural clean clog, does that make sence, just an idea but I know it's normal. Sadly breast feeding can be painful but only at first. I was holding my first baby all wrong and I was engorged so she latched right on my nipple for about a month. The idea is to have the nipple back in there mouth so it's not being pinched. I'd read so much on the benifits and I'm very stubburn so I grit my teeth and finaly when we relaxed and I was more comfortable it all was swell. With my second I was scared to death when the moment came cause she was early and her mouth was so tiny, but it didn't hurt at all! Her tiny cheeks were full and she looked so pleasantly surprised after being cup, finger, tube, bottle fed for seven days. Now I can't wait to nurse my third in September!
PS- I never leaked:)
never leaked during first preg.  colostrum came in day after delivery, milk 2 days later.  Went on to nurse for 16 months.  The leaking during preg. started with the second preg.  Dr. attributed to nursing first.  Don't worry.  Amount leaking, when leaking, size of breasts, none of that matters.
Ever since age 19 when I had my first son, and age 20 when I had the second one, I breastfed. Well, since that time I found out through engaging in sex and being very sexual, that I am able to lactate without being pregnant. I am now 50 years old and have been able to lactate from stimulating my breast on a consistent level. I have found this be a very pleasurable experience and a dumbfounding one. I've yet to meet anyone who can explain this to me.  I am a very energetic woman and have always been very health conscious. I hope to hear from you regarding this.