Women's Health: Postpartum Community

medical info

does anyone know of a way to research medical information on the internet (that's still free) other than just googling it?  i'm not really good at doing this and i just get of bunch of stuff that doesn't pertain to what i'm trying to find when i use google.  
kennedy,  it's really important that you choose your google words carefully.  It's kind of a learned skill - picking search terms.  Do you want to describe your symptoms and we can help you google?
i've always figured that was what my problem was w/ google!  :)  i pretty much just google exactly how i would word a question i'm thinking of!

i'm trying to find information on cases of siblings both with hyperinsulinism.  and a few other questions about it, too.

our youngest was born w/ it but it was cured by a partial pancreatectomy when she was 4 1/2 months old.  at that time they told us (at CHOP) that they had never seen a case of siblings of the same family w/ it.  well, we are about to deliver in 11 days and now my mind is just wondering all over the place and i have tons of questions and i'm waiting on them to call me back, too.

a couple other questions i have on this also are some things that maybe even some ladies on here might have an answer to...

like...  is an 8 hour fasting test too much for a 2-3 day old infant?  i know they have to push it, but that's just really scary to me.

also, is it ok for a 2-3 day old infant to be drinking 1/4 normal saline water instead of breastmilk?  again, i know its for medical reasons but i'm still scared!

thank you for offering to help me w/ my inferior internet skills, lol!!!!!!!!!!!  :)  i appreciate any help!!!!!!  :)

jen
I would search { "hyperinsulinism" AND "siblings" }

You can also do advance searches by restricting websites to only certain domains. For a lot of my academic searching, I will limit it to .edu.

In a little bit (once i get my oldest on the school bus) I can do some searching in the nifty tools I have in my arsenal.
I don't think an 8 hour fast is a particularly good thing.  I know that for surgery on young infants, they only fast them for 4-6 hours, tops.  But I don't know, obviously, what testing you are talking about.

Who is suggesting a 2 day old infant drink 1/4 strength normal saline water, and what are the medical reasons you are talking about?  

RR would probably be more help on the googling, but you could try "familial hyperinsulinemia" or "familial hyperinsulinism".    Those might get you somewhere.
andi- thank you for any info you can find!  i wasn't of course this stressed about it until i realized how close i am to delivering and now i'm worrying myself to death!

peek- when dd was born she had a seizure at 2 days old b/c her blood sugar was 10.  the took her to the nicu and she was there for a month (bsically b/c they had never seen it here in our hospital) doing tests and trying to get her blood sugars under control...  it was a stressful mess!  our endocrinologist got in contact w/ the hyperinsulinism center at chop and after being at home for a couple months of giving her 4 injections a day of a medicine to supress her insulin (and 1 injection a day of growth hormone) we were finally sent to chop to go to that center there.  they are supposed to be the only hospital in the u.s. that has the test they said she needed to to find out what type of hyperinsulinism she had (focal or diffuse) and thank God she had focal and only had to have 10% of her pancreas removed rather than 95% if it would have been diffuse.
after the surgery (and recovery) she underwent an 8 hr fasting test (she was 4 1/2 months old at the time) and was only allowed to drink the 1/4 normal saline water to prove that she was cured and would not get another low blood sugar.
well, now they have sent a protocol sheet for the new baby that consists of checking the blood sugars every 3 hrs beofre feedings for the 1st 48 hrs and if no hypoglycemia is detected then he has to undergo an 8 hr fasting test just like dd did.  
i guess we didn't question it at the time we recieved the protocol sheet b/c we knew that they specialize in this.  but i am really scared right now b/c both dh and i feel that the 8 hrs is just pushing it too much.  i mean, 2 day olds don't eat very much to begin w/ and then to take that away from them for 8 hrs would to me make their blood sugar go low!  

that's why i'm trying to get some more info on it.  and i'm definately kicking myself for it being so close to delivery and just now realizing how many questions i have.  am i wrong for questioning medical professionals?  or am i right to question it?  i'm just worried!
Its such an unusual condition!  See, they know best what to do--that's way out of my area.  

Surely during the 8 hours they will watch her blood sugar very carefully to be sure it doesn't crash.  

Its always good to question medical professionals.  As long as you question THE medical professionals who are doing the testing.  Obviously, no one here, including me, knows much about this.  

Good luck!
I am with Peek, that is such a fragile age. You would think they could detect the lowering blood sugar within a smaller window of time. And no, not on this. I would be questioning it to death.
yea, during the fast they will check his blood sugar every hour.  and yes, how fragile they are at this time is what makes me so scared.  i just don't want to him to get pushed to much that it could cause a problem.  i'm still waiting for someone to call me back from chop (i called them last week) so i will be calling again today.

thanks you 2!!!  both of you truely are a gift in this forum!  and andi i will definately be having some breast feeding questions to ask you in a short while...  this is my 4th and hopefully this time around i can get it right!  
Is it also called PHHI?  I found this article.

When I googled sibling hyperinsulin,  I got a BUNCH of very technical research,  the first hit up saying there isn't a strong genetic correlation - that is,  to have two siblings have this wouldn't be expected.

Best wishes - sounds like you've got a lot going on right now.

http://www.indianpediatrics.net/apr1998/317.pdf
But wait.  Googling PHHI (if that's what they have) this appears to have very strong genetic component.  Looks like a very good article.  

Best wishes.

http://groups.msn.com/ChildrenwithPHHI/
I was told with my boys that there was only a 5% chance of the heart defect showing up in each subsequent sibling, but all three ended up with varying degrees of cardiac defects. Always err on the side of caution.

i'm praying that all will be well!  this will be our 4th and our first 2 were completely healthy...  so when this happened w/ our youngest it was the biggest shock of our lives!  we were told that there is a 25% chance for each child to get it.  

also, earlier on in the pregnancy we had a small scare of 2 findings on our u/s ( a CPC and a focus in the heart) but have come to understand that these are often presented in completely normal pregnancies and infants.  so we believe all is well w/ that, too!  

darn it...  i'm just stressed!
WebMD is a great site to check out, too.
rockrose- thank you for those pages!  i'm still reading the first one (i want to make sure i understand it all!) in between feeding and coloring w/ my girls.

hope2- thank you...  i will check that out as well!
Many published scientific articles can be found for free on PubMed.  This is the database the scientists, doctors, etc. use to keep up on all the current research.  Here is the website
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/  
Under the search dropdown just pick PubMed and type your terms in the box.  These are scientific articles, reviews, etc but be aware that just because one study says something does not necessarily mean it is true and applicable to all.  So just because it is published does not mean it is a "good" study although most journals are in fact peer-reviewed.