Women's Health: Postpartum Community

our new baby boy is in the hospital with RSV

We had our ds on 12/26 and unfortunately both dad, big sister and grandparents had colds. Despite our best efforts to keep all germs away he developed a cold at about a week and a 1/2 that progressed to the point of him being admitted to the hospital with RSV. He is doing much better today. We have been here since Thursday and at first he was in the PICU but now we are on the floor. His main problems have been that he cannot be weaned from the oxygen and his breathing gets very fast at times. The doctors say he is doing better and that all we an do is let this run its course. He is getting breathing treatments every 3 hours and deep suctioning. I just feel so bad for him and hate that he got sick. Does anyone know of long term consequences to RSV? I have read that he may be at an increased risk for asthma which really worrries me. Please pray that he gets better soon  and stays well!
Hi!  I feel for you. We were in the hospital twice with RSV last winter with our little guy.  He has NO effects and the doctors have said nothing about long term effects.  It's scary seeing them on oxygen and it's true, it just has to run it's course. They will probably keep you a few days after he IS well to monitor him. They did with our little guy anyway.  Our little guy does have asthma but it's a mild case and I have never been told it was related to RSV.  It's easy to keep under control with 2 puffs each say of flovent and we really never have problems with it unless he gets a cold.  Try to relax and love on your sweet pea.  Keep us posted.
HI. Im sorry to hear you are going through this. I have a daughter who was born with Chronic Lung Disease. I know that its not the same but we had to go through all of the oxygen and the bubble c pap and everything. With anything in the lungs of course you have the chance with Asthma. It doesnt necessarily mean it will happen but there is a chance. I will pray for you. right now the most important thing is that your little guy gets better. You can always talk to your doctor regarding preventions of asthma.
i am sorry to hear your baby is having to go through this.  i don't know anything about RSV or asthma either but i would like to let you know that your family is in our thoughts and prayers.
I'm sorry your little boy is going through this!  My DD did not have RSV ever, but she does have asthma.  Every time we meet with a new doctor we are always asked if she had RSV as an infant.  I would assume that many of the same preventative measures you will be taking for your son's healthy lung care will be much the same as preventative asthma measures.  Good luck to you and your little one.
Oh, hun, sorry your family and the little guy is going through so much.  I don't know if there are any long term effects of RSV but I wish him a speedy recovery.  

My son had RSV when he was 2 weeks old and was in the hospital for 2 weeks....He is now 10 and has never had any lung problems,
That is realey the onley time he has ever been sick...Hope this helps..i will be praying for ur familey....Valerie
My son is 4 months, and currently has RSV. Its horrible so I know how you feel. We only stayed a day in the hospital, and he has to have breathing treatments every 4 hours. I have read that asthma like you said is a long term effects. I have also read that they are more likely to get it again. Not sure if it is accurate or not. Good luck and if you need anything message me.