Women's Health: Postpartum Community

ovulating without period

I found out I was pregnant with child #2 when child #1 was only 8 months old and I was nursing.  I did not have a period between pregnancies.  I know you can become pregnant before you have the first post partum period.  My question:  Can you ovulate for more than one month without a period?  Or did I get pregnant the first month I was ovulating?
My own OB said that yes you can ovulate without a period though it's not an exact science when you start ovulating again or even if everybody does. I had a friend go into her 8 wk checkup pregnant again. She DID think you culdn't get pregnant while nursing.

I am now 10 wks PP and have yet to menstruate. But taking no chances! LOL

Anyway, congrats! Not quite Irish twins, but close in age non the less!