Women's Health: Postpartum Community

penis skin re-adhearing

I need help! I have the same things going on with my son and I have no idea about all of the medical terms for everything but I do know that his doc told me to keep pulling th skin back... so I do.  And it keeps attaching! And when  we go to the doc he pulls it back so hard and it hurts my son and its raw and red and soar.  And when I do it at home every so often it hurts him and then its raw and soar.  But this last time we pulled it back it seemed to REALLY hurt and he was crying and I was crying and then I saw a little white bubble?  I dont know what it is and I am scared to take him back to his doc if its only gonna hurt again... or if this is gonna keep happening.  Its right on the underneath of his penis head around the ridge.  Does anyone know what the white bubble is?  Or does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions of what to do?
How old is your son?  No one should EVER forcibly retract a childs foreskin.  EVER.  
I'm not trying to contradict Peekawho's advice, but I will tell you about my experience with this...

My son is a big boy!  Because his pubis area is chubby, his penis stays retracted most of the time.  Therefore his skin adheres to his circumsized penis.  At his six month appt it was adhered all the way around and his doc said she would not retract it because it would hurt him too much to do it in one fell swoop.  She told us to gently push on the skin right after his baths and that in time it would retract.  At the time, she did push on a bit of it to show me that some white stuff that is 'hiding' in between the retracted skin, would appear.  It took about a month, but I finally was able to clear the retracted skin.  I have to continue to check it every day, though.  His doc suggested I use neosporin or bacitracin ointment if it appeared sore.  Now mind you, none of this ever seemed to bother my son.  Really!  He never cried or anything as I was very gentle about it.

I want to keep the area clear for him.  Otherwise, the only other option is for him to have himself re-circumcized (if he wishes) when he is older.  
My son is 2 and I have heard that is should not hurt so thats what also worries me.  My doc is closed today and I just am worried about this white bubble thing. And I have already decided that enough is enough and I am not going to pull down if it hurts anymore... and I am just going to go to another pediatrician.  But until I can I am not sure what to do or should I take him to urgent care?  My sons penis does retract so things do get in there somehow (cotton fibers) so I know I will continue to clean it but is it your opinions that I should just do that and let it attach if it wants to?  And peekawho I think that you are right about that part that it shouldnt be "Forcibly" and thats exactly what the doc did and thats exactly what he told me to do until I see the ridge... and I just cant do it again.  I have only done it once but that is enough for me although the other times even just pulling it back gently was uncomfortable for him
I'm sorry, I'm not an expert, so I feel uncomfortable giving you advice as how to proceed with this.  In general, I would say that if your son is uncomfortable with pain that perhaps he needs to go to urgent care.  If it isn't bothering him unless you are retracting it, it may well be able to wait until tomorrow.

Good luck to you.
What my ped told me is by the age of 2-3 years in a circumsized penis the skin should retract on its own.  I dont know what would happen if it didnt.  She said the old school method was to pull it back each appt when the baby was young, but they soon found that it will re-attach so I think the method now is the wait and see if once it grows it will detatch.  Rather than causing a boy such pain each appt.  Maybe get another opinion from a different Dr.  
An uncircumcised penis usually retracts on its own by the age of 3 or 4, but can take a lot longer.  

And as I said, it should never, ever be forcibly retracted as you described.  

I have no idea what you mean by the white "bubble"...are you talking possibly about ballooning that can occur when urine gets trapped beneath the foreskin and makes it look like a tiny balloon? If its that, and he is able to urinate, and is not in pain, its perfectly ok to wait it out.

Bottom line; if he's in pain, the area is red or swollen, he needs to be seen.  If any physician tries to forcibly retract his foreskin, stop them immediately.  Its a sign the doctor does not know how to care for an uncircumcised penis.

It only needs washing on the outside, the same way you would wash a finger.  Once it easily AND painlessly retracts, the child can be taught to pull back the foreskin himself during bath time and clean it.   Until then, just wash the outside.

This is how the rest of the world has been sucessfully caring for uncircumcised penises for thousands of years.  We just don't follow suit here.  
The white bubble can also be fungus. My son had the fungus around the ridge of his head from the skin covering it and keeping the moisture there. his skin almost covered his penis head even though the doc had pulled back the skin one time during one of his doc's visit. The skin was almost closing the urine hole and I had no choice but to get him circumcised at 2yrs old and they had to put him to sleep and it had to be done in the hospital and it cost me $1,500 at Nemours. He great now.    
It is incredible how many even young doctors still advise mothers to force back their infant son`s foreskin once a day. That is wisdom of the late 1950s. You can google "acquired phimosis" and "phimotic ring"- the forceful retraction of the foreskin can lead to scar tissue and eventually the foreskin can adhere to the glans before it ever had a chance to naturally detach. Once that happens, the same doctors often jump to the conclusion that only circumcision can help. It seems like an easy solution at that point but sometimes it`s just a self-fulfilling prophecy.
The white bubble you mention is a bit of a mystery. If it is a "solid" white "bubble", it might be scar tissue. If it is rather fluid filled, I wonder if is a slightly infected tear in the foreskin. I am only guessing since the healing of wounds often starts with clear leucocyte (sp?) liquid, I wonder if that could appear as a bubble. Not an expert on this....
By the way, my son has tight foreskin, which is inherited. I almost gave in to our physician`s impatience and forceful retraction a few years ago but then learned about prescription steroid creme treatments on this site from one of the commentators here. It is a recommended method of tight foreskin or even acquired phimosis treatment instead of forceful retraction or surgery. The success rate seems to be pretty high. My six-year-old is carefully starting the creme applications next week for about a month and we will see if it works. The course of treatment can be repeated later, however with caution to avoid side effects.
Hope I could add some aspects to all the other great advice. Keep following your instinct and common sense and your son will be alright.