Women's Health: Postpartum Community

question about high risk doctor

I am going to see a high risk doctor next week and wanted to know what I should expect on this first visit? They will be testing for abnormalities. Any suggestions, tips or advice?
I would think it would depend on a couple of things--your doctor, how he likes to do things, what your risks are, your concerns, etc.

I went to the high risk perinatal specialist before I got pregnant.  Quite honestly, I wish I hadn't gone.  The one doctor is really nice, but VERY lab coat (for lack of a better term).  He spent an hour taking information (family history) and showing me sheets in a binder about statistics for all that can be wrong with a baby/pregnancy at my age, with my medical/family history.  Then he showed me photos of deformed chromosomes and went on and on until my head was ready to explode.  I cried for three days over it and was seriously considering not trying for a baby.

Time passed, I decided to have faith that things will work out and we went for it.  I got pregnant and went for another appointment with the specialist.  He started to go into statistics and I said, "We've done this and quite honestly, I don't want to do it again."  He then went into the various types of tests, what they determine, and their accuracy.  That's when I found out that most "tests" are actually screenings and not conclusive.  We told him we don't want to be falsely reassured or worry for 7 months over nothing.  He said that the only conclusive tests are CVS and Amnio.  He did an ultrasound to see if I was a candidate for CVS and I wasn't (he goes transabdominally, not transcervically and the placenta was inaccessible).  So, we left and waited until we could do the amnio.

They are fantastic doctors.  The other doctor in the practice did my amnio and he told me he does amnios all the time--that he had done over 7,000 and his rate loss was EXTREMELY low (way lower than the supposed national average).  It was not painful--I just felt pressure and a crampy feeling and was over in literally a couple of minutes.  All is well, btw.

Anyway...not sure if any of this is at all relevant to you and your situation/doctor, but that was my experience.
When I sheduled my first high risk appointment before I got pregnant again after 5 losses, he sent me to a genetics councilor, there(in the same building) they checked me and my husband fpr chromisonal & genetic abnormalities, the test results took 2 full weeks to get all the results...After getting the go ahead to start trying we found out we were pregnant 6 weeks later, as soon as I found out I was to call the genteics doctor back and come in asap and get me blood/progesterone checked, it was low and they put  me on progesterone immediately, they did an ultrasound the same day...We saw everything we needed to see and they scheduled me back with them in 2 weeks and did another ultrasound, they then scheudled me with the High risk whom I saw the following 2 weeks and have been seeing every 2 weeks since then, the first visit with the high risk they did the pap and rechecked labs, that's all I can think of...God bless and congrats
Thank you SO much for all the helpful info! I had no idea what to expect, now I do! :) They scheduled me for 10:00 for an evaluation, then 11:00 for testing. I guess the doctor will explain to me similar things, cause I'm going because of my age (35). I also have joint pain (for about a year) and I have not been diagnosed to what is causing that yet. Good luck to both of your pregnancies! I hope all goes well! :)
Let us know how it goes :-)
Okay, I sure will! I see my regular doctor on Wed., then the high risk doctor on Thur. Thanks again! :)
Let me know what to expect, I am seeing the "high risk" doctors here at Michigan's St. John's.... actually the Chief of Maternal Fetal Medicine on Tuesday.