rashes...

CYW
so...Cameron apparently had the flu...well his fever comes and goes.. he is now sleeping but his fever was 102 when i took it. he got some motrin and hes got 3 eye teeth coming through...its sad hes in alot of pain...well ha has a rash all over practically...it began yesterday afternoon while at daycare and it just seems to be getting worse. It was only on hsi belly and now it has spread to his back and his chest and belly and almost on his legs (with diaper on you can see a big of the rash on his thighs..) and it's on his face, forehead...it doesnt look TOOO bad but it's still noticeable. you can tell hes teething because his cheeks are soooooo red...

daycare laDIES said it only looked like a heat rash...how long before i should "worry" that it is more than just a heat rash...what else could it be? i will attempt to take a photo tomorrow and show you all.

i want to bring him to get checked but i dont know if im over reacting or what...
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Ummm, when you noticed the rash all over.

There are only 2 canine teeth and they should not explain the 106 degree fever or the rash.

He needs to be seen by a competent doctor immediately.
Helpful - 0
Personally, I think you should take him now, but to a different doctor.  
Helpful - 0
CYW
i thought the bottom teeth between the molars and the 2 beside the 2 front teeth were considered "eye teeth as well" well he has the top 2 coming and 1 bottom...he doesnt have the 106 fever..this is just ridiculous...it's never ending...5 people confirmed it was a heat rash but there are so many "rashes" out there....and he didnt eat anything different...i wanted to go to the clinic tonight but got off work at 5:15, got home at 6, made supper...then had to run out to get some anbesol...we were in the store for 15 mins(which i got all my things i needed as well or seem as i walked by...im an easy shopper) regardless, when i drove by the clinics(one by my house and 2 by walmart) there must have been about 50 people in there...(and it was 7 by this time and to wait they would have just kicked us out) so i was thinking about bringing him at the clinic first thing at 9 tomorrow morning...cut out all the "BUSY" time...and have him looked at as well...by a different dr...
Helpful - 0
I do have to ask... if he still has a fever and has the flu, why was he at daycare? the poor baby needs sleep and rest, and honestly, if i were a teacher there, or especially the parent of another child in the class, i would be FURIOUS to have such a sick child in the class. I realize you are new there, but the flu is serious and can actually endanger the lives of others, especially young children.

I would not rely on other staff to diagnose Cameron. heat rash would not be all over his body. it is more likely a viral rash- either a reaction to whatever virus he has, or he may have picked up a new one since he is at daycare with an immune system compromised by working overtime to fight the flu. heat rash is generally restricted to parts of the body covered by clothing. heat rash would not be on his forehead. The flu can be accompanied by rash, or it could be something like fifths. Anyways, Cameron needs to be kept home except to be seen by a competent doctor as soon as possible.
Helpful - 0
Holy Cow!  He went to daycare?

Hey, this might be Fifths disease.  Take a look at this article:

http://children.webmd.com/tc/fifth-disease-symptoms

And click on the photo to see if the red cheeks look like what he has.  (sometimes the cheek rash in Fifths is called a "slapped cheek" appearance).  It usually doesn't cause that high of a fever, but I suppose its possible.

Helpful - 0
CYW
Cameron did not go to daycare monday nor tuesday. Sunday night he was up all night, I went into work monday because I had no replacement..(cant miss work if you have no replacement) Cam's aunt babysat and he had a fever of 102-104 throughout the day, he had about 4 cases of dark brown diharea. When I went to pick him up, his fever was down to 100. We came home, had a bath and cuddled him to sleep. He tossed and turned throughout the night and then could not sleep so we layed reclined on the chair of the couch the whole night. His temp hit 106 overnight. I kept a close watch on him, when he woke up he woke up throwing up liquid(it's all he had in him..refusing to eat) so tuesday I called at work and told them i would be taking cameron in to see his dr. Well when I brought him in, due to taking him outside, his fever broke. When at the dr;s he didn't get to see what I had been dealing with the past 2 days. Cameron was happy. We got home, he got some rest, the dr said it was the flu, so he wrote a dr's note...anyways, tuesday after his nap he was happy, the fever was down to 100, he was back to himself. Wednesday morning he was happy and back to himself. The children may return to daycare if they have a fever less than 102, had no diharea or puke for at least 24 hours. His dihearea it had been about 48 and his throwing up was over 24 hours. So we tried him and his day was wonderful he was so happy to be there...he had slept through the night tuesday so thats why i tried it out. Wednesday he slept through the night also but he had a slight fever at daycare of 101 after he woke up from his nap and they took off some of his layers of clothing, which an hour later he was back down to 98 but he kept holding his mouth and his cheeks were red and when  i picked him up they told me he had a bit of a rash and probably from the fever because it didnt look like measles or chickenpox...anyways when we got home cameron was a little warm before bed so i did give him some motrin to help with the discomfort and anbesol and he slept fine. Friday morning he was still very happy, same at daycare etc...but the rash i noticed seemed to be more spread. Everyone had a look at it and claim its only a heat rash.. i dont know about this stuff..i mean ive never really noticed chickenpox or measles...well ive seen chickenpox but not measles. and cameron's had a heat rash when he had rotavirus. I feel like a psycho mom because im always running to the drs. Everyone tells me im too concerned and i worry toooo much and yeah i do sometimes but i dunno anymore...his rash wasnt on his face this morning but still on his chest back, thighs and a lil on his arms and on the inside of his elbows. But this morning when he woke up, he cried for a while, wanted nothing, drank a bit though and went right back to sleep. The clinic opened at 9 but i dont want to wake him up...oh and he had a fever of 102 this morning but now its gone.
Helpful - 0
Let me try again.

Do his cheeks look "slapped"?  This would be characteristic of Fifths disease.

In this image, its pretty dramatic.  Camerons rash may not look this bad, but this is the typical "slapped cheeks" appearance.

http://www.fifthdisease.org/general.html
Helpful - 0
CYW
ive been looking at alot of photos online...his body rash looks like roseola...if it would be the cheeks would it come and go the redness?
Helpful - 0
hmm.... the fever was high enough for roseola. the only thing is, the roseola rash generally appears after the fever has broken. since his fever is persisting, i am not sure that it could be roseola. unless it's a combo of things. hopefully the doctor can help you. don't think you're being psycho or overprotective- Cameron is definitely sicker than most kids- both in frequency and severity. since this is day 7 of fevers, you are not being crazy by insisting he be seen.
Helpful - 0
CYW
well i brought cameron into the clinic. His rash on his body is his eczema:S The dr said that the fever may have caused a heat rash which is very probable. I feel like such a dodo...i NEVER even thought of his eczema. It looked that bad. I put his cream on and it looks better(mind you he gets cream after his bath) but now i will need to put it him a few more times a day until he stops sweating(which I haven't seen) but it may be while he sleeps...

The fever I am still worried. The dr took Cam's temp and it was at 102. She said that he may just be fighting off something viral but to keep him hydrated and said that i could alternate tylenol and motrin which i have been doing or that i could give half the dosage for tylenol and half the dosage for motrin which will help with the fast increase in the fever(e.g went from i believe 101 to 104 in 30 minutes monday) She said to keep an eye on him regardless but that other than keeping an eye on him and treating the fever there was nothing else she could do. His lungs were decent(which she said could be the asthma) ears were nice and throat was nice also.

So that's the update for now...she couldnt explain why he was having fevers so high, but that since they were going down and were below 104 it wasnt a bad thing-she said to compare the obvious...there is a progress. I hope she wasnt a cr*ck head dr. she did say if he got worse or the rash seemed to worsen or spread more not to hesitate to go back to head to the E.R even for piece of mind. which i know but IF he doesnt have anything or whatever, the ER is FULL of germs and he may end up with something...:S
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.