Women's Health: Postpartum Community

switching to formula

I'm going to switch my son to formula pretty soon so that he will be well established by the time he starts daycare.  What do you like better the powder or the premixed liquid formula?  What are the pros/cons?  
well when i did formula and breastfed my son i did powder.  he was on a formula though that didnt come premixed.  plus the cost was more.  i guess the cost is an issue plus heating the formula.  if you use powder you can mix it to warm water.  what i did was the night before work i made a batch of enough formula and filled the bottles (have to warm anyway)so they were ready for daycare.  i still breastfed early am, after work and on weekends and my body adjusted.  are you going to go to formula only?  i guess that time is coming up pretty fast isnt it :(
Hi!  Have to say, the biggest differences are cost and convenience.  You do pay more for convenience.  The pre-mix comes in a can, which means you don't need to worry about refrigeration, keeping it fresh, or how long it's been since it was made.  With my own children, I used the powder with added Omega's.  Mixing can be time consuming, but after doing it for a bit, you get used to it and it doesn't seem like much.  Thing is, once you mix it and toss it into the fridge, it MUST be used within 2-3 days(check the label) and the formula MUST be treated properly, especially with younger babies.  If it were me, I would go with the powder, because of cost and since refrigeration and proper care of the mixed formula would not be an issue at daycare.  In other circumstances, such as road trips and such, the premixed cans are heaven-sent!
Do what you think will be best for you, whatever will decrease your stress levels lol :)  Hope I gave you some good points to consider!
Good luck with the transition!
Kristyn.
I tried the premixed when first switching to formula, and while it was nice that you didn't have to mix it, DS likes milk warm, so I had to go to the bother of warming it up.  Mixing the formula isn't that bad, and you can mix the day's bottles ahead of time.  You can mix it right into warm water, so you don't need to wait for it to be heated up.  Cheaper too.  What we do at restaurants and that is just ask for a glass of hot water and ice water so mixing it at the table is a breeze.  
Thanks everyone.  All great points to consider.  I guess i can try both and see which works best for me.  

perty - I would really like to keep breast feeding him at home the only thing is.  He still won't latch onto the right breast.  I pump but it is still really lopsided but maybe if I'm not breastfeeding full time off the left side the lopsidedness won't be as bad.  We'll see.  
I breastfed at first and had to stop. I tried both kinds of formula and I think by far the powder in the can is so much easier. You can measure out the amount you need ahead of time and put it in bottles,then all you have to do is add water to the bottles. Very convenient especially when going away. Good luck to you! :)
Be careful about the water you use to make formula for your baby.  The water is supposed to be sterilized first.  I do not recommend using restaurant water.  I've worked in a restaurant kitchen before...and I must say, please don't use their water and their ice for your baby's formula.  One time I watched the little dishwasher boy get tossed into the ice machine wearing his clothes, shoes, everything. While that's a pretty extreme story, I would still not trust it.  Adults can handle drinking a few bugs, because our immune systems are strong enough to deal with it.  If your baby gets a bug...it won't be pretty.  Make sure you are comfortable with the water you are feeding your baby.
Kristyn.
I have never used sterilized water and have never heard of this. In fact my pediatrician told us to use tap water and not bottled water. I do use bottled water sometimes if I am out somewhere.
I agree w/ Kristyn...be careful of the water you use.  I switched to formula with my older two and my ped (many, many years ago now) told me to use sterilized water as well.  May have to do with where I live -- no city water, just private wells.

Two other points to keep in mind about the water...if you do sterilize, do not heat and reheat the water.  Some of it boils off and can leave the water too hard (too concentrated with minerals)...and, I just saw a report about NEVER using hot water from the tap for cooking b/c even if the water is okay, the heat can make any lead in the pipes (can be at soldering points, not just lead pipes) leech into the water.  So I wouldn't use HOT tap water.

When I used formula, I used the ready made...it was more expensive, but I found it more convenient in that I didn't have to boil the water.  And, I just got a moderately priced bottle warmer that heated the bottle in 3-5 minutes (depending on how warm baby likes it).

Again, this probably boils down to personal preference...so do as you said and try both and see what works best for you.  One last thing...they only take formula until one, so it's only a few months to try to figure out how to come up with the few extra bucks of the ready made and if you have to buy bottled water, may not even turn out to be more...at least that's my opinion.
That depends on the age of the baby.  I believe if the baby is less than 3 months, you have to be careful.  After that, it is ok to begin exposing them to such bugs since it is the only way their immune system can build immunity.

Perhaps its just me and the things I've seen go on in a restaurant kitchen...but it still comes down to the fact that each mother will do what she is comfortable doing based on the information she has at the time.
i preferred the powder mix to the ready-made in a can and so did edward. his spit up would be worse with the pre-mixed liquid and he typically wouldn't drink as much. i tried it a couple times, but gave up ultimately and used the powder for the rest of the time. i always used jugs of water or bottled water if we were out. never useds tap water and never boiled water to steralize it first. never had a problem. i would have steralized it if i was suppose to, but no one told me to....
We get notices in our mail ALL THE TIME about NOT using city water for drinking.  I guess with the shortage they are using extra chlorine in our water.  Also, city water is "recycled water", I would NOT use this water in your baby's formula.  Definitly get sterilized bottled water, especially if you live in the city and are not on a well.
ps - doesn't it say on the formula can to used bottled water? i don't have any left, but i could have sworn it did...