taking vicodin and smoking while pregnant

First of all, I know that most of you are wondering if you're reading the title of my question correctly....yes you are, and I am very ashamed of myself.  This is a very hard thing for me to admit to, because I know that I am opening myself up to being condemned by many of you.  I know that what I'm doing is totally wrong, so I'm asking those of you that just want to tell me how horrible I am, to please refrain from doing so.  That's not why I'm here....

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my 4th child.  I became hooked on pain killers roughly 2 years ago when my husband was prescribed for having 2 herniated discs.  I started taking them occasionally as a "stress reliever," and now it has become completely out of control.  It started with percocet, but now I only take vicodin.  I was taking approx. 5-10/325 vicodins and a day during the first 4 months of my pregnancy, but I have cut down to 3 a day.  I want to quit all together, but am finding that very hard to do.  It also doesn't help that my husband takes them, so I have to be extra strong to refuse them while I know they are in the house at all times.

I am also a smoker, but have wanted to quit for YEARS now, and have just recently cut down to about 5-6 cigarettes a day.  I know I sound like a hypocrite here, but I am very, very concerned about my baby's well-being.  I just had an ultrasound last week, and she looks great.  Her heart, organs, and physical appearance look totally normal, but I still am worried sick about her.  I feel guilty every day of my life.  I lose sleep at night to think that she might come out with mental or physical problems.  I will NEVER forgive myself if I have ruined her shot at a good, healthy life.  I want to quit everything now, but especially the pills before she is born because I do not want her to suffer from withdrawals.  I know that pregnancy is a precious, fragile, beautiful thing, and there are women out there that can't get pregnant, and here I am being stupid and selfish with my pregnancy.  I'm not looking for anybody to tell me that it's "perfectly okay" to be a "pill popper", but I do want to specifically hear stories from women that can relate.  Were your babies born healthy??  Did they have problems??  I'm not trying to justify my actions, and no matter what, I am on the road to quitting.  I am just desperate for some information from those of you that know what I'm going through.  None of my family or friends know this, and I absolutely hate having this skeleton in my closet.  My doc knows that I take them from time to time for the back pain I have associated with pregnancy, but he doesn't know the extent of my problem.  Please, Please help me if you can.....  

Thank you so much
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Honey, open up to your doctor, and see also about finding professional help with the quitting smoking.  There are good smoking-cessation programs out there.  You don't have to struggle with this alone, help is as close as reaching out your hand.
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I agree with opening up to your doctor-  your doctor is not there to judge you and can not share any of what you tell him/her with anyone else-  I wouldn't want to talk to my husband about something like this, esp if he doesn't know-  not that I am encouraging hiding things from your spouse, but there are times when you need to deal with things on your own, and having the feeling that you are being judged doesn't help---  but the doctor can HELP you and as an above poster said will need to know about when the baby is born, in case there are any complications, etc...  please at least tell your doctor about it-  even if it doesn't help you quit any quicker, it will at least give them a head up about what they might have to deal with at birth...  
Helpful - 0
I did not read all the reply's. Too many, but it's a good thing to open up about it and talk about it. I too smoke and am 26 weeks tomarrow. I feel horrible about smoking, especially because birth defects run in the family, it is hard to quit. I have gotten down to, on average about six a day I think. I don't know, I do have a tracker. I suffer from anxiety and depression and it's hard to get through the day without a few cigarettes. You really need to talk with your doctor about it. Your doctor can offer you some help. I was recently given a brochure about a hotline to call to quit but it's just for Kansas, but I'm sure other states have the same kind of programs available. I have also talked with my doctor about wellbutrin. I was on it once before for depression but heard it can help you to quit smoking, and am looking into that if I can't quit by the time baby comes. There are all kinds of prescriptions that can help with quiting both smoking and the addiction to vicodin. You really should talk to your doctor and work out a plan to quit. It may take a while. I have come up with a plan and been working with my doctor for a few weeks now and still am smoking, so yeah it takes a while to quit completely but that would be the first step.

My plan consists of an average time I would like to quit completely, how I would like to meet that goal, steps I'm going to take to meet that goal, a back up pland incase the first plan doesn't work, what to do if i have a relapes, like go from 6 a day to a whole pack a day suddenly. I also keep a journal. I have an addiction tracker, that you can't see unless you are on my friends list because I don't want a bunch of people getting on critisizing me, but I have one and keep a journal and it helps.  Open up yourself an addiction tracker. THat may help a lot. Then work on a plan with your doctor.
Helpful - 0
Well, I am down to 1 vicodin left, and I am not going to get anymore.  I'm not too concerned about the withdrawals because I don't take very many to begin with, so my body shouldn't completely freak out....I'm hoping.  I think it's more psychological than anything.  I don't want to talk to my doc about it because I live in a small town, and I'm afraid he might fire me as a patient.  The reason I think he would be upset is because I actually got a prescription from him a few weeks ago, because I told him that I wake up with back pain every morning at about 3 am.  That is the truth, but I'm afraid he might think I fooled him, and get upset and not want to see me anymore.  So I'm going to do this on my own.  My husband knows about this problem, as it is a problem for him as well, and he is willing to quit to make it easier on me.  We have eachother for support so that is a good thing.

I just want to make it clear to everyone that this isn't just a choice I made....it's an addiction, and for anyone that understands addiction, knows that it's not easy to give up.  Like I said before, I have never had a drug problem before....never.  I don't smoke pot, I've never used meth or anything like it, so please don't label me as some junkie-drug user.  My kids do not know that I take pills, and when it comes to smoking, I do not smoke around them.  If you saw me on the street, you would never know that I smoke or take pills....I am very discreet and secretive about it.

Another thing I'd like to make clear is that I have 2 very close friends that took pain killers throughout their entire pregnancies, and both delivered healthy babies.  So I guess I told myself for the last 6 months that it was okay, and I wasn't harming my baby.  Call it stupid, but that's how I've justified my use all this time.  If I ever really felt like I was causing serious harm to my baby, I never would of continued with it.  I would of quit right away.  But as an addict, I searched for anything that told me I wasn't in the wrong.  I looked at how my mom smoked while she was pregnant with me and my siblings, and how I have many friends and family members that did the same thing, and everybody has come out okay.  So why would I worry??  But for some reason, I now feel really concerned, and I don't want to risk my baby's health any longer.  So I am taking action....wish me luck, and again, please pray for my little one.....
Helpful - 0
Well, just a story to share from you that I was told just on Sunday from the person it happened to herself. She was at my in laws anniversary party. She was holding the tiniest baby I have ever seen, yet she didn't look like a newborn. She is nearly THREE months old and is eight pounds. The reason I say she was the tiniest baby I have ever seen, is because she wasn't a newborn. Her placenta stopped functioning in the last few weeks of pregnancy and had complications before that. The baby wasn't getting nourishment like she should have been for the last month or two of pregnancy. She came just TWO weeks early and wasn't even FOUR pounds. She was in the three pound range and has struggled to catch up. Not even nine pounds at almost three months old! She has had breathing problems and is at great risk of SIDS. She has had a few episodes where she has stopped breathing for a few moments...and there is no guarantee that it won't happen when she is sleeping and never wake up. The reason for these complications?? SMOKING. She did this to her baby and it will cause lifetime problems, if she even makes it through infancy. I thought of her story, and how so many people smoke while they are pregnant and say they know this person and that person who had a healthy baby even though they smoked...well, that is not always the case! It is a serious risk not only to yourself but to your baby. I just don't understand why you or anyone can't just put them down. Addiction or not, it is also mind over matter and it IS a choice.

I used to smoke. I quit 11 years ago, but also quit through each of my pregnancies. I never picked it up again after my fourth pregnancy and I have never looked back. I could not live with myself knowing that I CHOSE to continue smoking despite the risk. Especially with the increased risk of SIDS. Not worth the gamble if you ask me.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.