taking vicodin and smoking while pregnant

First of all, I know that most of you are wondering if you're reading the title of my question correctly....yes you are, and I am very ashamed of myself.  This is a very hard thing for me to admit to, because I know that I am opening myself up to being condemned by many of you.  I know that what I'm doing is totally wrong, so I'm asking those of you that just want to tell me how horrible I am, to please refrain from doing so.  That's not why I'm here....

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my 4th child.  I became hooked on pain killers roughly 2 years ago when my husband was prescribed for having 2 herniated discs.  I started taking them occasionally as a "stress reliever," and now it has become completely out of control.  It started with percocet, but now I only take vicodin.  I was taking approx. 5-10/325 vicodins and a day during the first 4 months of my pregnancy, but I have cut down to 3 a day.  I want to quit all together, but am finding that very hard to do.  It also doesn't help that my husband takes them, so I have to be extra strong to refuse them while I know they are in the house at all times.

I am also a smoker, but have wanted to quit for YEARS now, and have just recently cut down to about 5-6 cigarettes a day.  I know I sound like a hypocrite here, but I am very, very concerned about my baby's well-being.  I just had an ultrasound last week, and she looks great.  Her heart, organs, and physical appearance look totally normal, but I still am worried sick about her.  I feel guilty every day of my life.  I lose sleep at night to think that she might come out with mental or physical problems.  I will NEVER forgive myself if I have ruined her shot at a good, healthy life.  I want to quit everything now, but especially the pills before she is born because I do not want her to suffer from withdrawals.  I know that pregnancy is a precious, fragile, beautiful thing, and there are women out there that can't get pregnant, and here I am being stupid and selfish with my pregnancy.  I'm not looking for anybody to tell me that it's "perfectly okay" to be a "pill popper", but I do want to specifically hear stories from women that can relate.  Were your babies born healthy??  Did they have problems??  I'm not trying to justify my actions, and no matter what, I am on the road to quitting.  I am just desperate for some information from those of you that know what I'm going through.  None of my family or friends know this, and I absolutely hate having this skeleton in my closet.  My doc knows that I take them from time to time for the back pain I have associated with pregnancy, but he doesn't know the extent of my problem.  Please, Please help me if you can.....  

Thank you so much
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Congratulations on quitting the pills!! I know it must have not been easy. Know its the cigarettes. I don't smoke and have never had an addiction to anything so i cant relate, but the tips i read from  Wendy80 sound like they could really work. Don't give up, your doing great and have come a long way, and please keep up updated with your progress,and your little girl..
Helpful - 0
am I the only one still concerned?  I don't want to discourage littlemama from the progress she is making, but I still am not certain this is all happening as she says.  She mentioned the pills were her husbands to start off with and he had a pill problem too.  How has HE been doing with quitting?  If he can't do it too, there is probably not much long term change that is going to happen here.  I read all of her posts and she says she does it in secret, you'd never know, her kids don't know, etc.  Isn't that the classic "addict" talking?  

I really hope I am just plain wrong, but if I'm not, littlemama - you really need to seek some professional help for this, along with your husband, because unless and until you both clean up you will have consequences to pay.  Even if you kids don't know about it now, as you say, they will know eventually and they will be the ones to pay the price, physically or emotionally.   An addict needs professional help if they are truly an addict....if you are not an addict, then you should not have any reason why you (and DH) can't just stop these bad habits now.  

Good luck, but you really need to seek help with this for long term results.
Helpful - 0
The fact of the matter is, I always hate reading posts like this.  You have to be optimistic that the person will eventually "get with it" and realize that what they're doing is VERY harmful to the baby growing inside their belly.  Honestly, when I read stuff like this, it tends to upset me quite a bit b/c I can't fully put myself in that person's shoes, so I'm unable to see the "reasoning" behind all of the excuses...  aside from criticism, all I can offer is a little bit of advice on how to kick the smoking habit.  I NEVER like reading about women who smoke/drink/abuse (drugs) and I tend to avoid them (posts) altogether b/c I don't feel like I'd have anything nice to say.  In this case, I figured I could offer up some helpful quitting advice.  Having said that... jennyb473 might be right... you may need "extra" help in order to fully kick these bad habits.  A few other people have also mentioned talking to your regular doctor/OB about your habits too... small town or not, it would be in the best interest of your unborn child, and therefore a step worth taking.  Again, good luck.

Helpful - 0
Wow....I've raised quite a discussion here, huh???  Well, I have a doc appt today, and I am going to notify him of my smoking, and ask for help.  I will talk with him about the pills too... just so that I don't fall back into taking them.  Just so you all know, my husband quit with me.  We did it together, and are sticking it out quite well actually.  I think it was easier than I thought it was going to be because I wasn't really taking enough to put my body through harsh withdrawals.  Some people take like 10-15 pain killers a day, and they really suffer if they try to come off of them.  I was only taking 3, so it was actually pretty easy to be without!

Anyway, there have been a couple other women that have privately emailed me with their personal stories, and I feel bad that they don't feel comfortable enough to post them on here for all to see.  I don't blame them though...this has not been an easy thing to deal with!  Good luck to you girls!!!

The fact is, yes, taking pills and smoking while pregnant, puts the unborn baby at a lot of risk.  Your baby's health is never worth the risk..... now that I am taking action in preserving my health as well as my baby's health, I have to tell myself that there is a huge chance that my baby is just fine, and will be born wonderfully healthy.  I have to find the 'medium' here, and not only listen to the horrible things some of you women are saying.  Some of you are trying to make me feel like my baby is doomed, and there is no hope, and I should be super worried.  If I felt that way, I would totally stress myself out for the next 3 months, and that is not healthy either.  I have a very close friend that was under a ton of stress, and delivered her baby at 6 months old, and because she was too early, her daughter has cerebral palsy (sp?).  So, I'm not going to freak myself out.

I know that there is a chance that my baby could have problems (God forbid), and if that's the case, then I will deal with that when she is born.  That is why I posted this forum, and why I have admitted my problem, and why I have taken action.....all for the health of my baby girl.  I do have to tell myself that there is a wonderful chance that my little girl is perfectly okay, and she is going to be here soon, and is going to live a long, beautiful life.  Like one woman said to me in a private email "crack heads have healthy babies all the time, and only the Lord knows why"

Once again, I appreciate every single one of you for being concerned for my baby girl's well-being.  I really do.  Even those of you that didn't "sugar coat it".  I know that you are just women that have a heart, and want me to have healthy baby, so I am grateful to you as well.  Thank You!!!
Helpful - 0
I think your progress is great, keep it up and don't loose site of your goal and your motivation.  I am so glad to hear that you over came your fear of talking with your doctor you made a very wise choice.  And as far as stressing out about the health of your baby that is your job as a mom that is what we do.  This instinct can be the strongest motivator in the world and drives us to make unselfish decisions.  I don't think a little worrying is a bad thing especially in a case like this.  It just may be the thing that keeps you and your husband on the right path....
Helpful - 0
Tell your doctor or find a clinic that gives suboxone.  It's safer than methadone,  there's even such a thing called subutex.  You could take those and fell no withdrawls at all.  And ween yourself off em a month before birth.  I was once in the same boat.  Try it.  Safer than taking vicodin
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.