taking vicodin and smoking while pregnant

First of all, I know that most of you are wondering if you're reading the title of my question correctly....yes you are, and I am very ashamed of myself.  This is a very hard thing for me to admit to, because I know that I am opening myself up to being condemned by many of you.  I know that what I'm doing is totally wrong, so I'm asking those of you that just want to tell me how horrible I am, to please refrain from doing so.  That's not why I'm here....

I am 28 weeks pregnant with my 4th child.  I became hooked on pain killers roughly 2 years ago when my husband was prescribed for having 2 herniated discs.  I started taking them occasionally as a "stress reliever," and now it has become completely out of control.  It started with percocet, but now I only take vicodin.  I was taking approx. 5-10/325 vicodins and a day during the first 4 months of my pregnancy, but I have cut down to 3 a day.  I want to quit all together, but am finding that very hard to do.  It also doesn't help that my husband takes them, so I have to be extra strong to refuse them while I know they are in the house at all times.

I am also a smoker, but have wanted to quit for YEARS now, and have just recently cut down to about 5-6 cigarettes a day.  I know I sound like a hypocrite here, but I am very, very concerned about my baby's well-being.  I just had an ultrasound last week, and she looks great.  Her heart, organs, and physical appearance look totally normal, but I still am worried sick about her.  I feel guilty every day of my life.  I lose sleep at night to think that she might come out with mental or physical problems.  I will NEVER forgive myself if I have ruined her shot at a good, healthy life.  I want to quit everything now, but especially the pills before she is born because I do not want her to suffer from withdrawals.  I know that pregnancy is a precious, fragile, beautiful thing, and there are women out there that can't get pregnant, and here I am being stupid and selfish with my pregnancy.  I'm not looking for anybody to tell me that it's "perfectly okay" to be a "pill popper", but I do want to specifically hear stories from women that can relate.  Were your babies born healthy??  Did they have problems??  I'm not trying to justify my actions, and no matter what, I am on the road to quitting.  I am just desperate for some information from those of you that know what I'm going through.  None of my family or friends know this, and I absolutely hate having this skeleton in my closet.  My doc knows that I take them from time to time for the back pain I have associated with pregnancy, but he doesn't know the extent of my problem.  Please, Please help me if you can.....  

Thank you so much
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
any word on the mother, that was taking the pain meds? id love to know the outcome of the baby. gpd bless you and your baby
Helpful - 0
Hey, wow.. You really are an inspiration, I couldnt imagine how hard it would be to quit these pills. CONGRATULATIONS! Im 20yo and currently 17 weeks pregnant. Before i fel pregnant i was smoking pot every single day as well as cigarettes. I managed to quit smoking pot but it has made me smoke more cigarettes. On average i smoke 8-15 smokes a day and iam finding it EXTREMELY HARD to quit this nasty addiction. I havent cut down on cigarettes when finding out i was pregnant because of the stress levels my body is under. Every smoke i light i feel quilty as and for people around me that tell me ''i need to quit'' kinda makes me smoke more because yes, im frusterated. My partner is in the Australian Army and i dont really get to see him as often. He doesnt support me very much and always puts me down about smoking calling me every name under the sun. Your Husband is a legend if he quit with you. You must be very proud of him. I know my heavy smoking is bad, i think about it everyday BUT if i dont have a smoke, i go MENTAL! and i mean mental. This is embarasng to admit, but i go for a massive search around my house to try and find cigarette butts to take the tobacco out of them to roll a cigarette. GROSS I KNOW! but i just cant help this addiction. Ive been smoking for 10 years (since i was 10yo) People tell me ''if you can quit smoking bongs, u can quit cigarettes but i think it is a load of rubbish because smoking weed is a totaly different effect to smoking a cigarette. I smoke because im stressed and bored. I try and take my mind off it by either painting my toenails/fingernails or cleaning but nothing with me seems to work. I really do need help! this addiction is nasty!!!!! and im only 20yo for goodness sake! I have even tryed nicorette inhalers but they only burn my throat. I dont know what to do :( i feel so sorry for my baby! But i honestly cant quit :( I just wanna say GOOD ON YOU FOR TRYING! and succeeding on quiting pills! That is fantastic!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.