teething...back molars../diabetes question...

CYW
okay...my son had the red cheeks, whiny, sleeping more, he has alot more saliva/mucous(he also has allergies) his n ose goes from clear to a lil yellow then back to clear...no diarrhea yet.. had a fever of 100.3 thursday afternoon..misbehaving at daycare.. aggressive with the other children...he is bad for that but he was doing MUUUUCH better...he was supposed to move into the toddler room at 16 months but there is no room so he is 20months and supposed to move over in a month.. anyways...i think he is aggressive because he is bored and they have all younger children in there.. all his lil friends have moved up...

anyways a few questions.. he had a fever of 102.9 thursday night.. friday he coughed up mucous...made it seem as throwing up...he is refusing to eat but for the past 4 days he is drinking like mad(this is where i get worried about the diabetes) he waKES UP IN  the middle of the night and freaks...he wants to drink....so he drinks every hour or 2 a cup of 8 oz from 12am-7am...thats unusual for him.. and thats like ALOT of liquids.. he was eating fine up until thursday though but the drinking is excessive....due to his fever on thursday i got his ears checked due to his proness of ear infections and they were clear...that's good...

my co-worker argued with me that he was not teething that he must have a flu because she never seen a child with a runny nose or fever in 15 years of working.. which i think is impossible....but whatever....i find he was normal except for wanting to sleep more in the past 2 days and refusing to eat and runny nose as well as the red cheeks.. oh and the swollen gums....

so anyways has anyone ever gone through the process of getting your toddler tested for diabetes(his paternal grandmother is diabetic as well as my dad's brother was-severely) i kept looking online for signs....he will either not pee at all from drinking mad amounts of fluid or he will just pee like mad if he wasnt drinking any fluids.. it has just been an odd week...the dr at the clinic told me to monitor the next week and have him go see his pedi and run blood work
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
CYW
oh and 1 more thing how accurate are the weighing things at the drs office..vs the step on scale at home.. at the beginning of the month he was 25lbs and now he is down to 21.5 on the home scale...he has had a fight with his weight for a while but he needs to stay gaining:S he is too small
Helpful - 0
Have you checked out the symptoms of Fifths Disease?
Helpful - 0
CYW
the cheeks arent red anymore they come and go like his normal teething redness...
Helpful - 0
CYW
they have not been red since yesterday...but he is sleeping more than usual. today he fell asleep at 1030am and woke up at 3...actually i think i woke him up and last night he was in bed by 730 and up at 830...( i didnt think much of that though until the nap i found odd)
Helpful - 0
sounds like he's fighting a virus, but i would do as the doctor said, track things, and follow up with his pediatrician.

a couple of thoughts about the thirst- is that a possible side effect from some of his meds? If i recall, he is on several for allergies and asthma.
A post nasal drip can cause a tickle in the throat that he may be mistaking for thirst. Or, more likely, he is breathing through his mouth while he's sleeping due to congestion. This is probably waking him up and he's thirsty. I know if i wake up with a dry mouth, i HAVE to have a drink- i can't ignore it or it will keep waking me. Interesting that you asked because for the first time in forever, DD has been waking up the past 2 nights begging for water in the middle of the night. I think it's due to the heat and slight congestion in her case.

hope you get answers soon and that he feels better.
Helpful - 0
CYW
he is no longer on his puffers everyday!!! YAY...this is a good progress since the move...a real good one...he needs the blue every so often as well as if he is sick...he hasn't needed it yet.. he is off singulair but is now on reactine 3ml for kids. The pedi said it was safe for children as young as 6 months and when he starts having the bad allergies he needs it so he has been on 4 days straight off for 5 and then again 4 and back off...so it's not a constant ongoing thing...the nasal drip he is on is as needed so when he is really congested as of now which i needed to start yesterday(but hadnt been on that in 4 weeks)

i'm thinking it is due to the heat we have reached 20Celcius here so far..one day being 26 but the wind was cool...and there's a humidifyer in the room on everynight to help with everything being dry...this also helps him alot....

ever since we moved there are only BIG improvements on his breathing.. he has had only 2 coughing spasms/attacks..one was worse but it was easily taken under control which was absolutely NICE!!!! rather than him having an attack trying to get it under control etc etc and then not being able to and having to see a dr and then having him put on prednisone...he'd get better with it but once off he was back to being out of control...

i know i havent really updated in a while there but thats what it is for now...we had norwalk going on in the infant room at daycare and cameron was the only infant who did not get it...but all he had was the fever...my mom said of course he will throw up mucous he cant spit it out...which is true...and it wasnt alot of mucous...his nose is really runny but no fever.. normal poo, no vomitting just slept alot today but could be catching up on ZZZZ...i will try and keep you posted on how the next week goes with the thirst...i'm a constant drinker, always have been but he went from having 1 cup of milk and 2 water at snack and lunch(a real drinking cup) to 2 cups of milk and 5 of water and snack and lunch in between are an hour and a half for the first half and 2 hours for the next from lunch to snack...and he has a sippy in his room and he would beg for it and they would have to fill it with water in the room at least 4 times during the day because he was soo thirsty...

i've been at home with him today so it was nice to notice a little more but last night he drank about 6 sippy cups from 6-830 and 2 during the night which i think is reasonable...overall today he has had 4 cups of milk, 5 cups of water and 2 cups of juice plus 2 juice boxes and has eaten a lil more today which was nice...he didnt eat much lunch but did eat a lil more supper
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.