testosterone injections for hypospadias surgery

Does anyone have any experience with an infant son having testosterone injections? Brody was born with hypospadias and apparently, the protocol here at Mayo is to give testosterone injections to increase penis size so it's a larger area to operate on. His surgery is scheduled for July 9th. I'm really freaked out by the thought of this and don't know what to expect. I am hoping someone has experience with this and can tell me what they experienced. Thank you!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow!  I don't know a thing about it.

If Mayo is doing it, it must surely be ok?

Just don't let him over exercise and get all buff looking.  Muscle-y infants don't look right.  
*silently prays Jen doesn't take offense at Peeks wacky sense of humor*
Helpful - 0
:D No Peek, trust me, Ben and I have had our own share of humor over this. We make jokes about how we're going to go get him out of his crib and he's going to say "Hey baby!" In a really deep, Barry White voice! Or, start trying to pick up chicks!

I'm sure Mayo knows what they're doing, but I just worry how it will affect him and what I will see in his diaper! Kind of freaks me out a bit. Wish I knew someone who went through it. Oh well...we'll find out soon enough. He gets his injection in an hour.
Helpful - 0
*breathes sigh of relief*

Ask Mayo if he can use their fitness center.

Seriously, I hope it all goes well.  Let us know.  
Helpful - 0
Hey Jen, the thing I try to tell myself, is that in this day and age of numerous malpractice suits, Doctors, more than ever, are EXTREMELY cautious about what they do. They absolutely err on the side of caution all the time. They HAVE to, to protect themselves. SO, that always makes me feel a little better.

I think its great you can use humor in situations like this.I keep chuckling over the image of Brody saying, "Hey baby!" in Barry Whites voice!

Is it just temporary---the increase in penis size? Does it go back to baby size after the injections are discontinued?
Helpful - 0
Jenn,My prayers for Brody.Hope everything goes well!
Helpful - 0
Jenny - I can't help but laugh at your last comment.  You're too funny.

I'm sure it won't have much of an effect.  I know that once the injections stop, the test goes back to normal levels.  

Good luck to your little Barry White....lol.
Helpful - 0
Mami--LOL well I wasn't sure......:)
Helpful - 0
LOL...well, he got the injection a few hours ago, and so far, no Barry White :D I guess we might see a little bit of hair growing down there though-temporarily. YIKES! His appetite might increase and he might be a little more hyper or aggressive but other than that and the increase in penis size (which is temporary, only to be able to operate on it) they said there shouldn't be much more for side effects. We shall see...
Helpful - 0
Wait...are you serious about hair growing on it or are you joking...??? I can't picture that on a tiny baby.Really? I'm not sure what is a joke and what is true now!!! LOL
Hope he's doing well jen!!!
Helpful - 0
NO, I'm not joking!! The nurse said that some parents have reported some black hairs growing in that region!! How weird would that be! It's temporary, but still!! I'll just be glad when this is all said and done!
Helpful - 0
OMG....that's so strange.  Yeah, watch it, he might make the hubby a little jealous...lol.  No seriously, that's kind of weird to see your baby going through puberty.  Well just look at it as a temporary situation.  It will be over soon enough.
Helpful - 0
OMG!  He'll have quite the baby pictures to be remembered by, if he gets a full beard as well.
Helpful - 0
Jen - don't worry your son is in good hands at Mayo - in my opinion, the best!!  That's one of the good things about living in MN - good health care and Mayo a short drive away!  I wouldn't worry at all - those doctors know what they are doing there!!  Good luck - poor little guy!!
Helpful - 0
Jen, I didn't know Brody was getting his injection today. Nor did I know his surgery was approaching so rapidly! Time surely is flying, isn't it?! I hope Brody's doing ok with the injection and I know he'll do great with the surgery...he's a little trooper! :)
Helpful - 0
Well, Brody woke up with a full beard, so we taught him how to trim it. It's a goatee now and looks great! Haha...JK. In all seriousness...he was a challenge last night! He was very irritable all night long! He was fighting us when we were trying to get him to calm down. 5 weeks of this? Good Lord...

Ruby-amazing that he will be a year old in about 5 weeks. I cannot believe it!! I can't wait until this surgery is over. I hope it doesn't interfere with his development. He has been doing so well! He's nearly walking, he's talking up a storm (babbling and telling babble stories) and just a joy to be around. He's such a great baby!! How is Maxer?
Helpful - 0
The aggression sets in so fast...wow.  Maybe it will even out during the injection process and he won't be as irritable.  At least I hope it does.  

I like the goatee look...very hip....lol.
Helpful - 0
Maybe it was just a coincidence...I'm not sure. He sure seemed much more irritable and strong!
Helpful - 0
You should photoshop something and post pictures of him and his goatee!
Helpful - 0
Hey-take a look!

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/jenshim/bigbrody-1.jpg[/IMG]

:D
Helpful - 0
Oops, this works. That doesn't.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g124/jenshim/bigbrody-1.jpg
Helpful - 0
LOL....too funny.  That's perfect.
Helpful - 0
Too cute! He's sooo big!!!
Helpful - 0
Hi!! my son is also getting the hypospadius surgery on june 16th. i'm also worried about the surgery he is only 7 mths old. anyways, he got his testosterone injection 2 days ago and i got the phone call today that the doctor gave him 200 mg (adult dosage) instead of 10 mg what he was supposed to get. i'm really freaking out!! he said he is in no danger just he will have the side effects for maybe 1-2 mths!!! we are very upset with this and are worried if he will be ok to go through with the surgery. I am trying to also find out what to expect with this surgery. my doctor said this surgery is safe she is only worried about infection occurring with the tube they have to put in. well, i hope everything goes well for you, and me too !! :o)
Helpful - 0
That picture is hilarious!!! He is getting so big!! He is really cute.
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.