testosterone injections for hypospadias surgery

Does anyone have any experience with an infant son having testosterone injections? Brody was born with hypospadias and apparently, the protocol here at Mayo is to give testosterone injections to increase penis size so it's a larger area to operate on. His surgery is scheduled for July 9th. I'm really freaked out by the thought of this and don't know what to expect. I am hoping someone has experience with this and can tell me what they experienced. Thank you!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Mami--LOL well I wasn't sure......:)
Helpful - 0
LOL...well, he got the injection a few hours ago, and so far, no Barry White :D I guess we might see a little bit of hair growing down there though-temporarily. YIKES! His appetite might increase and he might be a little more hyper or aggressive but other than that and the increase in penis size (which is temporary, only to be able to operate on it) they said there shouldn't be much more for side effects. We shall see...
Helpful - 0
Wait...are you serious about hair growing on it or are you joking...??? I can't picture that on a tiny baby.Really? I'm not sure what is a joke and what is true now!!! LOL
Hope he's doing well jen!!!
Helpful - 0
NO, I'm not joking!! The nurse said that some parents have reported some black hairs growing in that region!! How weird would that be! It's temporary, but still!! I'll just be glad when this is all said and done!
Helpful - 0
OMG....that's so strange.  Yeah, watch it, he might make the hubby a little jealous...lol.  No seriously, that's kind of weird to see your baby going through puberty.  Well just look at it as a temporary situation.  It will be over soon enough.
Helpful - 0
OMG!  He'll have quite the baby pictures to be remembered by, if he gets a full beard as well.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.