to keep Paci or not to keep Paci....Help!

My daughter just turned 18 months old and is EXTREMELY attached to those soothie pacifiers.  She typically only takes one at nap time, bed time or on long car rides.  I'm really worried about this type of paci giving her buck teeth.  I can already tell she has a bit of an overbite, but I THINK (from looking at pictures) I had this too when I was a baby and I never took a paci of any sort.  I now have perfectly straight teeth, with no help from braces, etc...  What do you think?  Would this type of paci cause buck teeth?  Should I take it away now, even though it is going to be a LONG, HARD process?  Or regardless of what her teeth look like now, is it possible that her permanent teeth will come in straight?  PLEASE HELP....  I just don't know what to do.  I am very concious about teeth, always have been.  I don't want to cause her any discomfort by taking it away (not to mention the nights of NO SLEEP for me), but I definitely don't want to mess up her teeth.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thx.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm sorry what I meant to say was: 2 years is the accepted AAP (America Academy of Pediatrics) age at which a child should be weaned from pacifiers. Somehow I left the "2 years" part out.
Helpful - 0
it's so funny I saw your post and before I even opened it i supplied the word "soothie" to the description because they are such little baby magnets. My daughter uses soothies, won't in fact use any other brand. I'm planning to begin wean her at about 20 months if she's not already weaned because from what I understand that's the accepted AAP standard for the age at which a child should be weaned by. I'm so angry at my husband...I had effectively weaned her off of them for about 2 weeks when he was working extra shifts, and then he started coming home more often and would always be like "here's your bink bink" and give it to her and he totally undid all of my careful work. Now she uses it more than ever. At any rate, as long as she's weaned by 2 years I think it'll be fine...don't stress about it. Start now if you want but don't push yourself or her too hard :).
Helpful - 0
So, I talked to the Dr. here is my office..He said that its really a 50/50 chance of it hurting the permanent teeth...He said that its one thing if the teeth just move (( like an over bit)) But some times the bone itself can move as well and that will cause damage to the permanent teeth when they come in...He said the early the better to get them off the paci. Not every child is the same....Also said if the mother or father had or has an over bit or needed braces as a kid, it might be a good idea to get your child off the paci sooner has then have a bigger chance of it happening...Hope this helped.
Helpful - 0
I feel for you.. LOL My daughter never wanted a paci so this is one issue I never had to tackle.  Good luck in whatever you decide. :)
Helpful - 0
It would be great if you would ask your Dr.  I'm dying to know what a dentist would actually have to say about the permanant teeth vs the baby teeth and pacifiers.  Thx
Helpful - 0
If you can get rid of it, Do so!! We had the HARDEST time getting rid of my sons nuk. We had tryed many many many times and it just didnt work. We tryed rigth before our 2nd son was born and he was doing good but once the new baby came and saw that he had one, he wanted his back.....Over the next year and half we tryed and tryed. Our son used one right intill his 4th birthday YES 4th!!! (( I would like to add that he didnt use it all the time, just for sleep time, unless he found one laying around)) And then I put my foot now and It was Alot easier I have to say! I dont know what it was, he just get got and he has not cryed or begged for one! He does have an Overbit from using it, but once his baby teeth fall out I am sure his permanent teeth will come in "normal"...Man, you would think I would know this forsure seeing as I work in a Dental Office!! LOL I'll have to ask the Dr. forsure those!!
Helpful - 0
my kids never took a paci, but it seems that 18 months is still early.  i think let it go for a bit and then cut back if you can.  when my niece was 2ish my sister told her they were going to send them to new babies.  at first it worked till my sister noticed that her dd had a hidden stash and started back up haha.  i think 2 is an ok age to work on that.  im not a dr, but my opinion ;)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.