urinary tract infection question

Can a urinary tract infection be passed to your lover through oral sex ? My daughter recently found out she has a urinary tract infection. Her boyfriend now has a sore throat and a high fever. He is saying that her urinary tract infection has now been passed to him through performing oral sex on her. Sorry if this is too graphic. I would really like to know if that is even possible. Can it be passed to him that way?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Here is from another website:  

"Generally the bacteria that cause typical urinary tract infections do not cause mouth or throat infections. However make sure they do not have an infection like gonorrhea or chlamydia which can feel like a urinary tract infection but CAN be transmitted by oral sex."  

It therefore sounds more like a coincidence than cause and effect.  I don't think a high fever is a hallmark of either chlamydia or gonorrhea.

That said, it is worthwhile for your daughter to know that there is a pretty virulent gonorrhea going around that can be orally transmitted.  It is particularly a problem for teenagers because they often think they can't get or give an STD via oral sex.  

One last thought is that if Strep B happened to be the cause of her UTI, possibly it could be transmitted this way, but you should check with the doctor on this.  (I assume you would know by now if her UTI had been caused by strep.)  If the boyfriend checks out for Strep B and your daughter still has the UTI, you might ask the doctor if this suggests she should be swabbed to be certain her infection is not strep.
Helpful - 0
Sorry, somehow I was thinking that your daughter was a teenager.  If she is an adult, of course you should not be checking with her doctor about anything, she should.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your feedback. Yes my daughter is a teenager, and she just had her yearly pelvic exam. She has no STD's of any kind. I have never heard of a UTI being passed this way. I do not think it is possible.
Helpful - 0
Generally, in a yearly pelvic exam, they don't check someone for STDs unless there is reason for concern.  You could call the doctor's office and be sure she was actually swabbed for the standard ones.

I'm hesitant to say "Oh, sure, it is impossible for bacteria to be passed this way," because of Strep B.  If by some chance the UTI was caused by strep, it would be worth knowing if the boyfriend's sore throat also had that same strain of strep.  He, you, or your daughter might ask a doctor to clarify that one.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.