will anethesia harm my baby

I am having a camera down my throat to find out if I have stomach ulcers will this affect my fetua I am only a couple weeks along?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Tell your doctor that you are pregnant well in advance of the procedure.  If there is any risk they will delay the test.
Helpful - 0
As long as your doctor knows you should be ok - I was put under twice during pregnancy but both times my OB was present to monitor the baby.
Helpful - 0
I had a mastectomy somewhere around 9 weeks pregnant.  Just so long as they know you are pregnant, you should be ok (although when I went for the initial appt, it did concern them some).  I almost wrote a note on my chest to remind them, I was a bit paranoid.  But all was well.  They came in before surgery to try to doppler the heartbeat and I had to explain that it was too soon for that.  After the surgery, my OB had ordered an ultrasound.  I guess the tech didn't have much to do that day, because she was in our room for about an hour letting us just watch the baby.  That was even after she did her stuff ordered by the doc.

Good luck to ya!
Helpful - 0
I am a nurse in endoscopy and it is okay for you to have the upper endoscopy done but you should definitely not be given the sedation.  It is not anesthesia, it is called conscious sedation and is generally versed and fentanyl or demerol.  We ask all of our patients if there is a chance they could be pregnant for this reason.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.