I'm experiencing dark vaginal discharge with horrible smell.

I'm 35 yrs old and have had my tubes tied. I've had irregular periods off and on since the tubaligation. I had that done with the birth of my second child in 2007. Yesterday morning I woke up and all of a sudden I felt fluid like stuff leaking out and so I ran to the bathroom and looked to see dark brown to rusty brown colored discharge and it had a rotten type smell. It's not real thick mainly more watery like. I've done started experiencing cramp like pains but not consistent. I'm really worried because it's not quite time for my menstrual yet but like already mentioned thats not dependable with the irregularity. Can you tell me what exactly is the problem with me?
COMMUNITY LEADER
You might have a lost tampon. They can smell really rotten. See an ob/gyn, and don't be embarrassed -- "lost tampon" visits are actually pretty common. If that is what it is, ask if you should be put on a short run of antibiotics.