4 periods a year?

So i am 17 years old 5'3" and apprx. 142 lbs. since i started my period at age 15 i've only had 4 periods a year. one in August,, November, March, and April. that's it, none in between or any spotting in between at all. I'd like to know if that normal at all? I'm not on any medications and my doctor hasn't done any sort of follow up on it. Can i get pregnant? is that possible?  does this have to do with hormones at all maybe?
thanks for your time. hopefully i can get more answers then i've gotten which is none.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi there and welcome!  Well, periods and cycles can be irregular in the teen years for sure.  However, I think that only 4 periods a year is probably outside of that.  Have you had an annual pelvic exam yet?  Talk to your mother as I would say that it is time to schedule one of those.  You will see a specialty of doctor called an obstentrics/gynecologist or ob/gyn.  They take care of our reproductive system and female parts.  
COMMUNITY LEADER
OOPS.  Hit post before I was done.  

Anyway, they will talk to you about this situation.  They may want to put you on birth control to help regulate you.  This would introduce hormones into your system to get it on track.  

Getting pregnant with infrequent periods is hard.  It means that you rarely ovulate.  And it is impossible to predict when you ovulate which is what you need to try to figure out when trying to have a baby.  Down the road, hopefully you will be more regular as that makes trying for a baby much easier.  When you don't want a baby and are sexually active, it is ESSENTIAL to use solid, reliable birth control when you have infrequent periods because you don't know when that egg will show up.  You don't want any accidents that wind up with a baby in the end.  

So, talk to your mom and schedule an appointment.  good luck