Abdominal Pregnancy?

I was wondering if any one on here has had experience with or know's any information on abdominal pregnancy.  Maternal/child forum is full so I hope no one is offended I posted in this section.

My question stem from my SIL.  She got a postitive home test and went to the doctor.  He blood test came back positive.  She was told she was 8-13 weeks.  We were all ecstatic for this was a very wanted pregnancy.  One sunday morning she started having really bad pain.  Her first appointment with her regular OB was shceduled for the next day so she wanted to wait it out.  I talked her into going to the ER.  There they did labs and sonograms.  They were unable to find a baby anywhere in her uterus or tubes, they could not find a left ovary and her right ovary was doubled it's normal size.  Her blood HCG still came back as she was pregnant.  They scheduled her to come back the folowing day for another sonogram.  They still could not find a left ovary but her right one was normal size, and her HCG had risen.  They told her she is just not pregnant.  Well they have done HGC every couple day's and it is still rising but they continue to say I don't know why but your just not pregnant.  They decided to quit monitoring her HCG levels and just test it Jan 5.  I have been doing research because I am curious why she has HCG in her blood and why it is doubling if she is not pregnant.  I do understand there is no baby in her tubes or usterus that is why I was curious if it could be an abdominal pregnancy.  Thanks for any help.
That certainly could be a possibility....It is not safe to continue such pregnancies.  There was yet another program that I saw that had a women that found out she was pregnant with twins....some time in the early stages of pregnancy she had major abdominal pain...went to doc said the twins where fine....she continued to have U/S and eventually when she was seven months in they found the third baby....out side the whom...placenta attached to the outside of the uterus and the balter.  She was luck she did not loose any of the babies lives or hers.
Can this also be a fallopian tube pregnancy that can also rupture and I think is far more dangerous than an abdominal pregnancy?
One other cause of hcg levels without pg could be a pituitary tumor. Sounds scary, but a few stories I have heard over the years ened in success stories (not that this is the only possibility, just a thought, maybe something to get checked out).

It would be odd to be unable to find a sac, the most certainly looked all over, including various areas of the abdominal cavity. Be persistent, keep pushing until she finds an answer, if it is abdominal, it is dire. If it were tubal, most likely it would have ruptured by the point and the pain would be excutiating.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Andi
Some times when the when you have a tubal pg the tube will rupture and and you dont know what hit you till you are bent over in sweats from the pain.  Tubal pregnancies CAN lead to abdominal pregnancies when the tube breaks....if the egg lands  on something and still has the ability to attach itself that is how you get the abdominal pg.
Her pain was really bad when she got to the ER.  To the point she almost passed out and they gave her morphine.  The doctors searched her tubes really well and there is no sign of anything in them.  I will have to do more research on a pituitarty tumor. Thanks for all the advice.
If there was a rupture, they would have picked up it with the u/s, her pain would not have gotten better and would have most likely gotten much worse. Ruptured tubal pregnancies can be fatal and if the pg had gotten to the stage of rupturing (typically past 6 weeks) there would have been enough to show a bright positive on any hpt. It is a very scary thing from what I understand.

Hopefully they will find a resolution soon, I know the waiting and wondering is brutal.

Andi