Abnormal period?

I'm a 38 year old female and mother of 2. I've completely normal periods since I was 11 years old. No miscarriages, always had a healthy reproductive system. Since starting my periods, they have always been 5 days in length, every 28 days. They are always regular and uneventful. For the past couple of months, however, I've started having increasingly heavy bleeding during the first days of my period with severe cramps (Ibuprofen 800 and Tylenol barely helps the pain). My last period was almost 12 days in length. This is quite different from what has been considered normal for me since I started my periods.

What could this indicate? About 4 months, I had an annual pap smear which was normal. Should I go back to the doctor? What could be the causes of increased length of bleeding time? I have no had any stress or anxiety, or at least nothing out of the ordinary. I am not pregnant and have no changed or started any new medications.
This could be a number of things.  Couple of things came to mind......Fibroids, Endometriosis and Perimenopause.  These are pure guesses of course.  The 12 days of bleeding is very concerning.  

I would recommend you consult your GYN Specialist about this.